How to Transfer Windows 10 to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
So with the new free upgrade to Windows 10, you cannot create a boot flash drive. Instead you have to install it on the drive that your previous Window OS is installed on. I have confirmed this with the Microsoft team this morning. This is because all of the free upgrades are pre-keyed. So I am just about to wipe my HDD and install Windows 10. I have backed up my personal files already and as the only thing on the HDD will be the operating system, I should be able to easily clone my HDD to my SSD (once I have plugged it in).

Does anyone know what the best way to do this would be. If possible, I don't want to use any third party partitioning software, as I have heard bad things about them. The only one that I would be happy to use is the Intel Data Migration Software, but I have not found any confirmation that this will work properly with Windows 10.

My SSD is a 120GB Intel 535 Series SSD.

I have not clicked the install Windows 10 button yet, as I am wondering if there is a better way to do this.

Let me know you thoughts guys - and as always, thank you in advance.

Joe

Solution
You don't need any migration software. You insert your current Windows DVD/USB, format the HDD to wipe your currently installed OS and programs, and perform a clean installation onto the SSD.

-Wolf sends

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

But how would I do this without using a 3rd party migration software?

Status
Not open for further replies.