How to transfer Windows 7 COA from one HDD to another

apjack

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi. Sorry if this topic could have been easily discovered without having to post this thread. But, I searched the Net quite a bit, and cannot get a specific answer. Also, I want to get started on this project as soon as I can.

All I am trying to find out is this: I have an authentic Windows 7 Microsoft COA -- not an OEM from a Dell, HP, etc. Just a Windows 7 license product key and the DVD to install it. It is currently installed on an HDD in one of my PCs. I want to install the Windows DVD onto a new, blank, HDD in another computer and use the product key that is being used on the prior HDD to activate it.

Can I simply enter the product key after installation, and it will switch the authentication when I use the phone system? And so I will be able to leave Windows 7 on the other drive if at some point I want to switch it back?

I am hoping so, as this will cut down the work time for what I am doing.

Thanks.

(P.S. Off topic, but how do I request a sticky for a thread on this forum?)

Solution
....I have an authentic Windows 7 Microsoft COA -- not an OEM from a Dell, HP....
Just because it isn't from Dell, HP, etc. doesn't mean that it isn't an OEM key. If the product ID string contains OEM then you cannot transfer that license to another machine. Only a full retail license can be transferred as described in the previous post.
If you plan to use the licence on another PC, you must stop using it on the original PC and never connect to the net with it, technically, your supposed to uninstall.

If Microsoft detect two machines using the same COA key, they will block the key and both pc's will end up with unactivated status.

....I have an authentic Windows 7 Microsoft COA -- not an OEM from a Dell, HP....
Just because it isn't from Dell, HP, etc. doesn't mean that it isn't an OEM key. If the product ID string contains OEM then you cannot transfer that license to another machine. Only a full retail license can be transferred as described in the previous post.

Solution

apjack

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Hey thanks. Yeah I certainly would not try running two licenses at one time. I just did not want to have to format the drive I am taking the license off of now. What I wanted to do with the drive, if I could leave it intact, is to add a new COA to it in the future.

So lets say the drive I am taking the COA key from is Drive (1). The drive with the new install I want to put the product key onto is Drive (2). Can I at some point boot up Drive (1), which would be in a different build, go to activate product and use a valid COA so everything is legit? And Microsoft will recognize that each drive has its own separate OS key?

And thank you, ex_bubblehead, for your reply. I was using Dell, HP, etc as an example. I wanted to differentiate that I am not trying to transfer any kind of OEM string.

In my attempts to research this topic about COA transferring, all of the Web content I was finding was about transferring an OEM from a Dell or an HP, etc to something else. I wanted to be sure to get answers about Microsoft and COA transfer.

So, thank you for helping to ensure that my post is on topic. And thanks, das_stig, for your reply. Maybe you could answer for me the questions mentioned above.

Best wishes.