[SOLVED] How to transfer Windows install in this case?

schwim

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi there everyone!

Crucial tells me that I can upgrade to this SSD for better performance:

koXMhVR.png

I've done a bunch of Googling on my particular setup and I can't find any instruction on how to do it. Here's my issue:

I have an OEM installed Win 7 upgraded to Win 10 on an old AW Aurora ALX. It shares drive space with a linux install and grub handles the booting. I can't seem to find any how-to on how to copy this setup over and Google states that an OEM license can not be moved to another computer/drive. I no longer need the linux install on this computer so I would be happy just moving the Windows install to the new drive if possible but can't seem to figure out how to move just the Windows install over and have it boot properly.

Any help on how to move this Windows install to the SSD would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Solution
Thank you so much for all the help! Could you tell me what the process would be if I wanted to handle the new drive in this manner, installing Windows 10 as new and applying the current license?
A fresh install on a new drive in the same system incurs no OS licensing issues.
Install, and it will activate itself.
Windows does not care what drive you put it on. This would be little different that simply reinstalling on the same drive.

popatim

Titan
Unless you have a USB drive adapter then order a sata cable along with the drive. You'll need the HDD and the SSD active at the same time to do the clone.
When done cloning. power off and install the SSD in place of the Hdd (usb cloning) or if both drives are internal then just unplug the sata cable from the ssd and plug the one from the HDD in. You need to boot up with just the SSD installed and have it connected to the same port the HDD was in the motherboard.
Now once the drive are set, power on and enter the bios, locate the boot options menu and set the SSD as the default boot drive. Save and exit.

It should now be booting up to Windows. Enjoy your new speed.

BTW - Crucial includes free cloning software by Acronis if you'd prefer that https://www.acronis.com/promo/micron/
But I use Macrium also as it's much more powerful software once you learn how to use it.

Reactions: schwim

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming:
New SSD of 500GB
Current HDD of 158GB consumed space
The current install works to your satisfaction
Desktop
You have sufficient SATA data cables to connect both drives

This...

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

schwim

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
"Google states that an OEM license can not be moved to another computer/drive. "

That is only 1/2 correct, if that.
A new drive in the same system, as is the case here...no problem.

Thank you so much for all the help! Could you tell me what the process would be if I wanted to handle the new drive in this manner, installing Windows 10 as new and applying the current license?

USAFRet

Titan
A fresh install on a new drive in the same system incurs no OS licensing issues.
Install, and it will activate itself.
Windows does not care what drive you put it on. This would be little different that simply reinstalling on the same drive.

Solution

schwim

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Well, it went great. I just installed Win 10 and like you said, everything else was handled in the background. Thank you so much for your help.

Can I ask how this magic happens? Does each component of the computer have a fingerprint of some sort and if enough of those fingerprints match in their db, they go ahead and apply an activation? I ask because I didn't even log into Windows, I had to do an offline install because of the wireless dongle and within a couple reboots of software/updates, it showed as activated.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, it went great. I just installed Win 10 and like you said, everything else was handled in the background. Thank you so much for your help.

Can I ask how this magic happens? Does each component of the computer have a fingerprint of some sort and if enough of those fingerprints match in their db, they go ahead and apply an activation? I ask because I didn't even log into Windows, I had to do an offline install because of the wireless dongle and within a couple reboots of software/updates, it showed as activated.
Windows licensing mainly depends on the specific motherboard. Change that, and then we have licensing issues.

Installing on a different drive because you want to is no different than installing on a different drive because the original failed.

When it connects to the outside world later, the activation server farm at MS says "Oh, we know this system. Activate it."