[SOLVED] How to transform files from a USB flash disk formatted for TV to a computer

asdasd999

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Hi, sorry if I'm asking in the wrong section, I though the question to be best suited for this section.

So basically I formatted a USB flash drive and connected it to my smart TV. I've been using it as a storage for my TV ever since (whenever I recorded anything through the TV the file ended up on the flash drive). Now I would like to transfer some of the files to my computer. Is there any way to do so?
So far I've tried connecting the flash drive to my computer (which won't work, as I would have to format the drive to make it usable on my computer which would erase all data). I have also tried uploading the files on the internet through the TV browser but the browser is primitive to say the least and I wasn't able to successfully upload any file.

Thanks for any suggestion in advance.

Solution
Do you know what formatting the TV uses for the flash drive. It may be as simple as accessing it from Linux. Or it could be something more complex if they use some custom partitioning scheme.

Knowing the make and model of TV may help. As someone here may know what is needed to access it.

Does the TV offer any sort of network file sharing?

Just note that even if you can access the recordings. They may use some sort of encryption to protect the videos recorded from playback on PC. Especially videos where the broadcaster uses broadcast flagging. Which tells the recording device that the contents must be protected from unauthorized use (encrypted). I think all TV recording devices in the US have to follow those guidelines. I know the...
Do you know what formatting the TV uses for the flash drive. It may be as simple as accessing it from Linux. Or it could be something more complex if they use some custom partitioning scheme.

Knowing the make and model of TV may help. As someone here may know what is needed to access it.

Does the TV offer any sort of network file sharing?

Just note that even if you can access the recordings. They may use some sort of encryption to protect the videos recorded from playback on PC. Especially videos where the broadcaster uses broadcast flagging. Which tells the recording device that the contents must be protected from unauthorized use (encrypted). I think all TV recording devices in the US have to follow those guidelines. I know the TIVO is like that. Only a handful of shows can be copied. As most channels automatically flag everything.

Even on shows which aren't encrypted (broadcast flagged). Your TV may use a proprietary container. In which case it's unlikely there is a way to play it back on PC.

Also, if it turns out the content is locked. ie Encrypted shows, or flash drive. At that point I believe it would be against forum rules to help further.

What it really boils down to. If you want to record shows and have them on your PC. You are best off using a TV tuner card or even Tuner with CableCard on your PC. That or a tuner box which offers streaming over your home network. But if you always want the content available on your PC. You'll need a card/USB adapter for your PC.

Solution

asdasd999

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I have a Samsung UE32F5500. I can access internet through the Samsung TV Internet Browser but I wasn't able to upload any file anywhere. I tried multiple file sharing services and most of the time the webpage didn't work at all (it was either a blank page or just an ad that covered the entire site). And if it worked I got an error message every time I tried to upload a file.

I'm not really sure about the formatting, I just followed steps from some youtube video and it ended up working, I didn't dig any deeper than that.

asdasd999

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
HV9miIr.png

Thanks for suggesting DMDE, I was able to find the folder with my files using the program. Unfortunately as you guys already suggested, the files are encrypted. As much as I'd appreciate help with decrypting them I realize it's probably against the forum rules to discuss such an issue, so I'll deal with it on my own. Thank you all for your help.