How to troubleshoot cpu and mobo? Swapping N.A

pellel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
How can a person troubleshoot the mobo, processor and power supply without testing the components one at a time in an already working system?
Are there any particular techniques available if I don't have access to another system?
How do 'experts' troubleshoot these components?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If it boots and runs stuff for any length of time, then it's almost certain that the CPU is fine.

Assuming you can Run windows for a time prior to a crash, then programs like Motherboard monitor can log the voltages provided by your Power supply. Using this you can see if you suffer a voltage drop just prior to a crash (indicating dodgy power supply) Can also log temperatures so overheating can be spotted easily.

Memtest86 can be downloaded, and runs off a bootable floppy to test memory for errors.

if it doesn't post at all and gives no beeps or anything, then it's <i>usually</i> a broken CPU. Continuous Short beeps would normally indicate a memory problem, but beep codes should be listed in the manual anyway.

The first step would usually be to remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a (non-conductive, obviously) flat surface, with just CPU, CPU cooler, Gfx & memory plugged in, and see if you can get anywhere, then to add other components one by one until a problem is found.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
oh, how about explaining your system specs and the exact problem symptoms, and maybe someone could give a better idea where the problem is.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen