News How to Turn a Raspberry Pi Into a Wi-Fi Access Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

albatross83

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Unless you're planning to use this as a rogue AP for pen testing, this is one of the worst applications imaginable for an extremely scarce resource. Not only does it lack sufficient bandwidth to serve as a robust AP, a capable router can be had for less than the retail price of an RPi, let alone the actual street prices with forced bundling.

But hey, if anybody's got a spare RPi4 in working condition sitting around, I'll happily give you MSRP for it.

Oct 4, 2022
Hello
This is my first posting.
I am having problems with setting this Access Point up.
I installed the latest OS using Pi Imager on a brand new 8Gb Sd card
Accessed the pi via SSH from Windows computer
Followed the instructions in raspi-config
When I selected Network Manager I did not get the Network Manager active screen it immediately disconnected and rebooted.
Now it is not visible with Advanced IP Scanner so I cannot connect via SSH and VNC from Windows computer.
I hope someone can advise me what I've done wrong or suggest what I do next
Many thanks

Oct 4, 2022
Hello
This is my first posting.
I am having problems with setting this Access Point up.
I installed the latest OS using Pi Imager on a brand new 8Gb Sd card
Accessed the pi via SSH from Windows computer
Followed the instructions in raspi-config
When I selected Network Manager I did not get the Network Manager active screen it immediately disconnected and rebooted.
Now it is not visible with Advanced IP Scanner so I cannot connect via SSH and VNC from Windows computer.
I hope someone can advise me what I've done wrong or suggest what I do next
Many thanks
Update: I've now got the AP working fine, no idea what I did wrong to start with.
I have an associated question, is there as easy way to switch off the Access Point so that I can SSH into the Pi in the normal manner?
Thanks

Jan 9, 2023
@albatross83 I liked this article because I can now temporarily use my Pi as a mobile data router by tethering my iPhone and enabling the Pi's hotspot. I needed this to connect my newly installed solar inverter to the manufacturer's website for configuration. I did not yet have regular internet service installed in our new home.
👍

Apr 24, 2023
This is perfect for my application - an access point my DP motor home. The Pi will be an access point and host several applications that like to know if we are in the area or not. It will connect via Ethernet cable to another device that connects to available WiFi networks and will host a "guest" network, and also has cellular connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.