News How to Turn a Rotary Phone into Google Assistant with Raspberry Pi

May 23, 2021
Rewire your old rotary phone with Raspberry Pi Zero and install Google Assistant.

How to Turn a Rotary Phone into Google Assistant with Raspberry Pi : Read more
HI This doesn't work! it fails with errors at step 11,
make authenticate
get_account_credentials.sh: line 7: google-oauthlib-tool: command not found
make: *** [Makefile:31: authenticate] Error 127

and during setting up the assistant.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "app.py", line 2, in <module>
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'RPi'
make: *** [Makefile:15: run] Error 1

Any chance of a re write?

Jun 7, 2021
Hi pwcutajar,

I'm a bit of a newbie, so I too was having problems. The below could be utter rubbish, but its the way I'm going ( all part of the fun)

I had a quick look in the GitHub repo cloned/listed in the article and found the requirements.txt.

One of the listed requirements is RPi.GPIO & google-oauthlib-tool which is what I think is needed, amongst other things, by the Pi in order to run step 11 (make authenticate). These requirements are installed by install.sh script (Make Install) in Step 1 of 'Setting Up The Assistant ' after they are needed, meaning the Pi doesn't know what to do and you get the error you pasted.

I'm currently setting this up but I'll be going through the requirements and installing them one by one prior to doing anything.

The author probably has this pre installed so had no problems

Hope this helps, more than happy to answer any questions

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021
Pretty good walk-through. I've got an old rotary dial that I've been working on turning it into a VoIP phone and have it configured where it can make and receive calls over the internet, complete with rotary dialing. Even made it "cordless" with a power-bank to power the Zero (the original phone cord now has a USB end to power it. I may need to add a push-button to kick-start the power-bank if I let it run down, though. It'll automatically engage when something's plugged in and if it has power but if it's drained and then re-charged, I'm not certain if it then automatically turns on the port. Have to test that.)

Adding a personal assistant is the next step. Except, rather than picking up the receiver to trigger it, it'll be "Dial 0 for the operator."

Sep 11, 2021
HI This doesn't work! it fails with errors at step 11,
make authenticate
get_account_credentials.sh: line 7: google-oauthlib-tool: command not found
make: *** [Makefile:31: authenticate] Error 127

and during setting up the assistant.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "app.py", line 2, in <module>
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'RPi'
make: *** [Makefile:15: run] Error 1

Any chance of a re write?
Did you ever get past this error spent not the night trying to figure it out

Nov 5, 2021
Rewire your old rotary phone with Raspberry Pi Zero and install Google Assistant.

How to Turn a Rotary Phone into Google Assistant with Raspberry Pi : Read more
I have question... I have been meaning to do this project for quite a while, I have finally found all the parts, and am sitting down to do it. When I look for the Google Assitant API Scope there is no such scope. What happened? Please if anybody could help me! I have wnt to great lengths to get everything for this project! Thanks

UPDATE: SOLVED

Last edited: