[SOLVED] How to turn a Router/modem into a modem only?

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello,

I got the idea that router mode is used when the router is connecting to a modem that has no routing/router ability and AP mode when you are connecting one router to another.

My question is, if I want to use the Router mode instead of AP mode what should I disable/do in the Router/Modem so it ends up being a modem only instead of a Router/modem.

My question is basically how to properly disable router features in a Router/Modem so it ends up being a modem only and I be able to use router mode in the second router without creating two networks, connectivity problems for apps/services?

Thanks!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
FYI, it's likely possible to use your own router even if you can't put it in bridge mode. Just plug a cable from one of the LAN ports on the modem/router to the WAN port of the router you want to use. Then just make sure that all devices connect to your router, not the modem/router (turn off the modem/router wifi if you can).

It's not ideal, and I think there is a possibility that there can be some issues, but I've done it before and had no problems.

Reactions: Dasa

kanewolf

Titan
I have an option to disable WLAN module and another option to disable DHCP, would that help?
Disabling WIFI is probably advised if you have another router. Disabling DHCP would not help. If you follow @TJ Hooker recommendation and just put your router connected from the WAN port on your router to the LAN port on the ISP router it will usually work. This "dual NAT" configuration can cause problems if you want to port forward or need Open NAT.

Reactions: Dasa and TJ Hooker

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Disabling WIFI is probably advised if you have another router. Disabling DHCP would not help. If you follow @TJ Hooker recommendation and just put your router connected from the WAN port on your router to the LAN port on the ISP router it will usually work. This "dual NAT" configuration can cause problems if you want to port forward or need Open NAT.

FYI, it's likely possible to use your own router even if you can't put it in bridge mode. Just plug a cable from one of the LAN ports on the modem/router to the WAN port of the router you want to use. Then just make sure that all devices connect to your router, not the modem/router (turn off the modem/router wifi if you can).

It's not ideal, and I think there is a possibility that there can be some issues, but I've done it before and had no problems.

Ok, this is a bit late question but what are the disadvantages to using AP mode? I wanted the router mode because I wanted the new router to control every wifi connection at home, which will enable me to control everything from the app or the advanced settings it must have compared to ISP router, is there another reason why someone want to use router mode over AP?

Regarding the double NAT, well I already have double NAT as far as I was told, my 4G ISP shares the IP with many users therefore I have internal NAT and external NAT with ISP so I will have triple NAT? what services are disrupted due to that? can you mention an example please? torrenting? remote connection? anything else?