NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Years ago someone gave me an Epson SX200 free, I've been using it for years and it still works great, it only costs £17 for 120 ink cartridges!
I would like to know how print servers work? TP link sell one (wps510u) It turns a wired printer in to a wireless printer. would this work for me? if not what will?

Last edited:
Solution
Stand-alone print servers are linux hosts (think Raspberry PI) that take printing commands from the network and convert them to wired commands to the printer. The Epson can also scan. Few print servers also support scanning. If scanning is important, then you may be very limited. Print servers have also been obsoleted by the built-in network capabilities of new printers.

kanewolf

Titan
Stand-alone print servers are linux hosts (think Raspberry PI) that take printing commands from the network and convert them to wired commands to the printer. The Epson can also scan. Few print servers also support scanning. If scanning is important, then you may be very limited. Print servers have also been obsoleted by the built-in network capabilities of new printers.

Reactions: NOT_PROVIDED_16
Solution

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for the info, scanning is important. So i won't be buying a print server.

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Hi their , I read about this recently and from what I understand the dongle just plugs into the usb socket on a printer I don't know how the signal gets from a stand alone pc or server but this link my provide some useful info

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/TL-WPS510U/?utm_medium=select-local

Yeah same here, i have no idea how it really works. But from my understanding its now quite old technology, due to most printers having wireless capabilities built-in.