[SOLVED] How to tweak Windows 10 efficiency ?

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
I have Dell Precision M6400, with an 5400rpm hdd, and Core 2 Extreme QX9300 processor, due to some drivers support and issues i cannot move to linux, i was experiencing many issues so have to go back to Windows and windows 10. I use win 10 debloater from Christitustech from github, by which i used tweak settings, remove cortana, remove apps, and turned of search engine indexing for drives, i also defragmented and also made its effects to performance, but still i see no change in speed of startup and applications loading time i see experience freezes, slow time and unresponsive behavior but in linux it was quiet good. i also have enough ram for my normal works its 6gbs divided in 3 sticks. i only have browser work or watching videos. What else thing i can do to gain performance other then upgrading to ssd? or changing machine? if there is any possible way to trim windows more?

Solution
I have Dell Precision M6400, with an 5400rpm hdd, and Core 2 Extreme QX9300 processor, due to some drivers support and issues i cannot move to linux, i was experiencing many issues so have to go back to Windows and windows 10. I use win 10 debloater from Christitustech from github, by which i used tweak settings, remove cortana, remove apps, and turned of search engine indexing for drives, i also defragmented and also made its effects to performance, but still i see no change in speed of startup and applications loading time i see experience freezes, slow time and unresponsive behavior but in linux it was quiet good. i also have enough ram for my normal works its 6gbs divided in 3 sticks. i only have browser work or watching...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have Dell Precision M6400, with an 5400rpm hdd, and Core 2 Extreme QX9300 processor, due to some drivers support and issues i cannot move to linux, i was experiencing many issues so have to go back to Windows and windows 10. I use win 10 debloater from Christitustech from github, by which i used tweak settings, remove cortana, remove apps, and turned of search engine indexing for drives, i also defragmented and also made its effects to performance, but still i see no change in speed of startup and applications loading time i see experience freezes, slow time and unresponsive behavior but in linux it was quiet good. i also have enough ram for my normal works its 6gbs divided in 3 sticks. i only have browser work or watching videos. What else thing i can do to gain performance other then upgrading to ssd? or changing machine? if there is any possible way to trim windows more?
There’s not much you can do to increase performance with a HDD drive. Some people think that you can change certain settings to improve performance. While that may change performance a little, it is usually hardly noticeable and can lead to problems if you change the wrong things. As well, removing bloatware won’t do much aside from clearing storage - unless the program is setup to automatically start.

Currently a lot of SSDs are on sale on Amazon in the US. I recommend this 500GB SSD from SK Hynix. It has a great warranty and you can get 1TB if needed.

Edit: If you just want a small SSD for the boot drive, this PNY SSD should work fine. I usually stay away from smaller drives as the warranties don’t last as long.

If you need instructions for replacing the HDD, this manual should help (assuming it is the same computer). If that is the exact same computer it looks like you may have two slots for hard drives. If that’s the case, you can setup Windows on the SSD and keep the HDD for files (always keep a backup of important files in case of drive failure).
If you need instructions for replacing the HDD, this manual should help (assuming it is the same computer). If that is the exact same computer it looks like you may have two slots for hard drives. If that’s the case, you can setup Windows on the SSD and keep the HDD for files (always keep a backup of important files in case of drive failure).

Solution
Your first problem is your running an unsupported OS so your on your own.

Download this then reboot.
Wait a few mins then run UBM with the browser closed and post a LINK to the results page

PC Benchmark

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Your first problem is your running an unsupported OS so your on your own.

Download this then reboot.
Wait a few mins then run UBM with the browser closed and post a LINK to the results page

PC Benchmark
while testing fps the screen drops display, it give green rays like thing for a millisecond and goes black but keyboard backlight is still on, i have to press shutdown for some seconds to force shutdown. and restart and the startup takes long enough with some lags freezes etc,

while testing fps the screen drops display, it give green rays like thing for a millisecond and goes black but keyboard backlight is still on, i have to press shutdown for some seconds to force shutdown. and restart and the startup takes long enough with some lags freezes etc,
Trying to get w10 to run on that machine may be like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I know of no 'click on this' item in w10 to make it run better/faster.

You might need to go back to the OS the machine came with.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

my backup pc (on sig) is at a similar age to your machine, so I have a bit of idea on what your pc is experiencing. Your best bet is try to add more ram, get an SSD, or do both. Or just buy an entirely new pc.

you really can't ask too much from these old CPU's. I'm simply glad that my Q9500 can still play Guilty Gear Strive at 1080p without problems - of course, that is with the help of a GTX 1650. :)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would stick to linux if it works good, its less stressing on PC than windows.

if you don't want to hear about changing any hardware anyway.

If you want to make it better...

That dell can run 10gb more ran, 16gb total.
https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...ision-M6400-memory-compatibility/td-p/4621887
That will help almost as much as a ssd as it will give PC more wiggle room before it has to use the page file.
The longer you avoid page file, the better off you are. Even with an ssd its still way slower than ram.

removing bloat isn't necessary if PC has enough ram.

Reactions: Tac 25