Question How to undervolt a cpu.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I'm running a ryzen 7 5800x, for the past few months it's been fine, but with the hotter weather coming in the temps whilst gaming are a bit too high, whilst playing hunt showdown the cpu hit a whopping 91c! I realised recently that the fans on my cpu radiator were the wrong way and were instead firing the heat back into the case, so I turned them around to extract instead, it made no difference, as far as I can tell the fans are all running maxed out as is the cpu pump, I'm aware the 5800x runs hot but surely this kind of heat is too much. So how would I go about undervolting the cpu slightly to reduce heat? Or should I lower my refresh rates from 144hz to say 90 or so to limit what the cpu is trying to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm running a ryzen 7 5800x, for the past few months it's been fine, but with the hotter weather coming in the temps whilst gaming are a bit too high, whilst playing hunt showdown the cpu hit a whopping 91c! I realised recently that the fans on my cpu radiator were the wrong way and were instead firing the heat back into the case, so I turned them around to extract instead, it made no difference, as far as I can tell the fans are all running maxed out as is the cpu pump, I'm aware the 5800x runs hot but surely this kind of heat is too much. So how would I go about undervolting the cpu slightly to reduce heat? Or should I lower my refresh rates from 144hz to say 90 or so to limit what the cpu is trying to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I have heard that some people have had success going into the BIOS and setting the CPU voltage to 1.35 with a .05v offset. Play around with it, you will have stability issues if you have too few volts. Google is your friend here. Many people play with these settings especially on reddit. What I am trying to say in so many words is that there is lots of great info out there and I specifically do not know more than what I stated.

What cpu cooler do you have atm and how is your case cooling?