[SOLVED] How to Undo Overclocking on RTX 3080

May 27, 2021
Hello,

As title suggest, how do I undo an overclocked gpu? To be specific, I bought a gigabyte OC 10g rtx3080. Since it was defaulted as overclocked, I'm not even sure how to undo it so any information or guidance is appreciated.

Things I've tried:
-I used to use NZXT cam to lower the frequency/power (idk) so it doesn't get too hot, but this isn't a permanent solution. At least, I don't think so. I really have no idea.
-I tried googling around but results are always on how to overclock, not "undo".

Thank you in advance for any help!

Solution
You can't really remove it, because it was applied in the bios. IF a Gaming-non OC model existed, that would be what you would probably want... but it doesn't exist.
Your options are then to either switch(the card has a dual bios switch) to silent bios, or practice undervolting the OC bios.
OC bios(370w power limit): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225554/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-3
Quiet mode bios(345w power limit): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225676/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-2

I'm assuming you're running into temperature issues?
The "OC" in the name suggests that it boosts higher than some other models at default settings. This is completely safe and within spec. Unless you have applied any additional overclocks yourself, your GPU will run perfectly fine and there is no reason to downclock. The "OC" configuration you're thinking of is just the stock settings for your GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't really remove it, because it was applied in the bios. IF a Gaming-non OC model existed, that would be what you would probably want... but it doesn't exist.
Your options are then to either switch(the card has a dual bios switch) to silent bios, or practice undervolting the OC bios.
OC bios(370w power limit): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225554/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-3
Quiet mode bios(345w power limit): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225676/gigabyte-rtx3080-10240-200903-2

I'm assuming you're running into temperature issues?

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The card is what the card is, as specified in bios. It's like having an 8cyl motor in a car, you can't just change it to be a 6cyl without changing the whole motor, computer out etc.

That said, you can change aspects of the card virtually. Using stuff like msi Afterburner or Evga PresionX, you can undervolt, downclock etc and virtually limit the cards performance.

But to look at it, pull it out of the pc, sell it, run as default that's forever a Gigabyte OC RTX3080.

My Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC runs at good temperatures. If yours is getting too hot the first thing that comes to mind is you may have an airflow problem. The 3080 needs good airflow.

The card does have a silent BIOS you can select with a switch on the side of the board. Make sure that is not selected.

May 27, 2021
Thank you guys for the info. I really appreciate it and @Phaaze88 , To answer yes, I am running into temperature issues. Some games I like to play causes the gpu to heat up my room so I wanted to not have it work so hard, but still render graphics nicely (if that makes sense).

I'm not very sure how I can increase airflow to help cool the gpu down. I only ever paid attention to my cpu and optimized cooling for that already. Is there a thing to put onto gpus like cpus? I'm not sure when it's considered too hot for the gpu besides rising room temperature. Is that an indicator it's getting too hot and I need to shut my pc down for its safety?

I will look at the links and info about virtually limiting it's performance though. Thanks again for alternate solutions and information.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And this is where it starts making more sense to liquid cool the gpu over the cpu - well, it always kind of did with the higher tier models, but it's worse this time around:
Ampere brings great performance, but it also brought higher power consumption and didn't improve on power efficiency(it's worse) compared to the last 2 generations.
This leads to warmer room temperatures - the heat can't stay in the box, it's gotta go somewhere...
For folks in cooler climates, this won't be a big deal, but for folks like myself living in warmer climates, or others living in regions where cost of electricity isn't exactly stellar(you know, to have to run the A/C longer)... this presents a bit of a problem.

I'm not very sure how I can increase airflow to help cool the gpu down. I only ever paid attention to my cpu and optimized cooling for that already.
We need to know the rest of your system specs, such as:
-cpu and the cooler that's mounted on it. If a hybrid cooler is being used, where is the radiator located
-already know what the gpu is
-chassis make and model, as well as the current fan setup, like intake/exhaust

Is there a thing to put onto gpus like cpus?
There is, but neither option is as convenient to do compared to cpus. I believe that's why gpu liquid cooling hasn't taken off as well.
The user has to remove the gpu cooler entirely, as well as there being compatibility issues; some models have custom PCBs that will severely limit your options.

http://gpu.watercool.de/WATERCOOL_HEATKILLER_GPU_Compatibility.pdf
^This is for IF you wanted to go the custom loop route: Watercool shows all the Gigabyte 3080s having custom PCBs and that they don't have a compatible block for it yet - doesn't mean another vendor doesn't though.

Alphacool still does gpu AIOs, and they recently launched Eiswolf 2s compatible with RTX 3080, 3090, RX 6800, 6800XT, and 6900XT... but it might not be compatible with your card.
I checked their Gpu-config tool, and yep, it's not compatible - it only turns up a custom liquid block.

So instead of jumping on custom liquid, see what you can do with what you already have first, yeah?

I'm not sure when it's considered too hot for the gpu
Gpu core is generally considered fine up until 85C, but I prefer to use the gpu's default thermal limit off the bios - in this case, it's 83C.
Gpu Vram is considered fine up until 95C.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Some games I like to play causes the gpu to heat up my room so I wanted to not have it work so hard, but still render graphics nicely (if that makes sense).

Lowering the clock speed won't help with that I'm afraid, this is just what happens when you run games on an RTX3080. It produces a lot of heat and that heat has to go somewhere.

You can't actually set the clock speed low enough on an RTX3080 to significantly affect the amount of heat it produces, on minimum settings (which will impact FPS) it's always going to pump out roughly 200W of heat into your room. At normal settings it's more like 300W. This is quite a lot.

You could always vent the heat from your PC out of a window, or cut a hole in your wall and vent it out the wall.

5-54-5410897c-pccool-sg.jpg

Reactions: hamoo
May 27, 2021
That is quite an interesting way to vent out the heat @TommyTwoTone66.

I have a intel i9-10900k cpu with a kraken x53 radiator attached from the top of the a nzxt h710 case. I also have one fan at the back that blows the air out of the case and 3 fans sitting at the front inside to blow across the mobo and its components. I use a rog strix z490-e gaming mobo powered by evga 1000w psu.

Phazze88 said:
Is the switch like a physical switch? Or actually entering the mobo bios and then switching it into silent mode for the gpu? Is there a step by step guide for this?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is the switch like a physical switch?
Yes, it's physical, on the back of the card, on the opposite end from the PCIe gold pins.
Switch it left/right when the PC is off.
dualbios.jpg

The H710 is ok on airflow. Fan/cooler setup is ok.
I believe this is workable.
A)Capping fps to monitor max refresh. I remember reading that setting it to the number right below the max is supposedly better, but I've forgotten the why...
One of the easiest means to reduce gpu power consumption.

B)Increase rpm on current fan curves.
I'm not saying to max them out, but if you still have room to raise them and still be comfortable, then do so.
Your ears will be the ultimate judge here.

C)Undervolt the gpu core.
Finding the best settings is even more of a headache compared to cpu overclocking; they are going to be more diverse, and Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm is going to be an added pain.
The 'short version' is the following:
-You need to use Msi Afterburner or Precision X for EVGA cards. You also need Gpu-Z, specifically to monitor the Sensors tab.
-The apps allow you to save profiles - make use of them.
-Run your games and see what the max voltage that the gpu is requesting is. Write that down if need be.
-Unlink the power and temperature limit... actually, you can skip this one. On this particular model, the Target and Limit(max) are the same.
-Go to the Curve Editor. It will show your gpu's Voltage/Frequency curve. This here is all the control Nvidia allows for voltage tuning: a cluster of voltage points.
-Recall the gpu max voltage.
When you select a point, you lock/unlock the voltage there with the L key.
You also have the option to increase/decrease the frequency from that point with the up or down keys; you can offset some of the lower frequency at a voltage point by raising it a little.
You will have to test and see if the increased offset is stable though. If you need a number, do offsets in increments of 15mhz.
The idea here is to simply play around with a few or several voltage points lower than the max and see how the gpu behaves.