How to unlock my CPU (i7 8700k)

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018
I i just recently upgraded to an i7 8700k , alongside my gtx 1070 and an asrock z370 killer mobo. Been playing some BF1 and it clocks in at around 4.3 GHz, but I know it has the potential of 4.7 when its unlocked, but what exactly is unlocked? I'm vaguely familiar with overclocking but is it the same thing, or is it a built in function of the processor?

Solution
It's about the best there is for air coolers, you'd have to move to an aio liquid cooler, a decent 280mm or larger, to get higher wattage ability

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018

I already have an aftermarket cooler, a cooler master hyper 212 evo, but ive had it since I first built this rig about 3 years ago so im unsure if it would get the job done, as the cpu performs now at 4.3 GHz it sits around 53 celcius.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a 140w budget cooler, sitting on a 95w cpu that'll easily reach 140w under stress loads. So No, that cooler is basically what would be equitable for a stock cooler. You'll need something considerably more to get any real OC beyond locking all the cores at turbo speed.

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018

Do you have any reccomendations outside of liquid cooling, cause thats kind of a hassle.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Software OC is not reliable and not only often leads to instability but unreasonable temps as the software decides what voltages to run the cpu. That's not including the changes to BCLK (buss speeds) which affects everything from ram to hdd/ssd communication speeds. OC Genie and others are nothing more than sales gimmicks and should be avoided.

zrkraus

Reputable
Mar 9, 2018

I have a phanteks enthoo pro full tower so im almost certain it would fit, i might give it a look.

TRENDING THREADS