[SOLVED] how to unlock my wd my passport without erasing everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You are right, Ijack! :)

There's no way we can distinguish that indeed, which is why I recommended contacting our tech support for assistance.
Unfortunately, if the OP has really forgot his/her password, the only way to unlock that external WD Passport would be to format it and lose the data.
The password protection on the drive is there to prevent people from accessing your drive, redbart! If you've forgotten your password there's no way WE can determine if the drive is yours or not, only our tech support might be able to do that.
So make sure you contact them with this.

SuperSoph_WD

Hey there, redbart!

Sorry to hear about your issues with this. :(
I'd suggest to check out this link on how to set up security on your WD external with WD SmartWare:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Yh6ITN

If your WD Passport has become locked without creating a passport for it in the first place, this might be a sign of a damage on the drive.
So I'd strongly recommend contacting our tech support either by phone or by e-mail and let them know about this.
Here you will find the contacts: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DdBn7O

Good luck! Hope I helped you!
Merry Christmas! :)
SuperSoph_WD

The OP clearly stated that they had forgotten the password, so it doesn't sound like a damaged drive.

The problem is, how do you distinguish this sort of question on a forum from someone wanting to access a hard drive without permission to do so?

You are right, Ijack! :)

There's no way we can distinguish that indeed, which is why I recommended contacting our tech support for assistance.
Unfortunately, if the OP has really forgot his/her password, the only way to unlock that external WD Passport would be to format it and lose the data.
The password protection on the drive is there to prevent people from accessing your drive, redbart! If you've forgotten your password there's no way WE can determine if the drive is yours or not, only our tech support might be able to do that.
So make sure you contact them with this.

SuperSoph_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.