[SOLVED] How to Unlock SSD

Jan 17, 2023
Hi, so yesterday my monitor just went completely black and after a while I just turned it off using the power button and rebooted but it came up with a error saying reboot and select proper boot device, I tried changing the boot orders to use my SSD which has the OS but it didn't work, finally I used one of my old HDD that had an OS to boot up the PC, and when I checked the SSD drive it was locked and write protected, I tried the diskpart command but it didn't work, it just says access denied, media is write protected. please help. The SSD is Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Solution
Check it with Samsung Magician.
If it says "Drive Health Critical", then there's nothing to do with it.
Replace the drive.
You can still access all data on it and clone to a new drive.

CSaa8acv-DjQ-mfh0xPvtwrGtXqGvFUAo5vFg3PThss.jpg

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi, so yesterday my monitor just went completely black and after a while I just turned it off using the power button and rebooted but it came up with a error saying reboot and select proper boot device, I tried changing the boot orders to use my SSD which has the OS but it didn't work, finally I used one of my old HDD that had an OS to boot up the PC, and when I checked the SSD drive it was locked and write protected, I tried the diskpart command but it didn't work, it just says access denied, media is write protected. please help. The SSD is Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
I’d run the CHKDSK utility to see if it does anything.

Worst case scenario, the warranty should be 5 years or 600 TBW for that drive, so it sounds like you may still have warranty left unless you’ve had it for a while. 8TB of usage was pitiful at best.

Worst case scenario, the warranty should be 5 years or 600 TBW for that drive, so it sounds like you may still have warranty left unless you’ve had it for a while. 8TB of usage was pitiful at best.
Problem with warranty is, if you have any personal/sensitive data on the drive.
Drive has locked itself. You can't erase it.

If you RMA the drive, you have no control over, who and how accesses your data.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Jan 17, 2023
A run of Magician's diagnostic tool might shed some light on the actual health of the SSD.

Hi there, I ran a full scan it said there were problems and then told me to press the recovery button which I did, it loaded for a bit before saying "Recovery failed. Check the disk connection and perform a Diagnostic Scan again". When I tried to update the driver using Samsung magician it says the update stopped due to an error, same message if I try run a short scan.

Jan 17, 2023
I’d run the CHKDSK utility to see if it does anything.

Hi there, no luck, it just says "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." but when I try to remove the read-only restriction using command prompt it doesn't work even though it says the action was successful.