[SOLVED] How to unscrew the middle of the platter?

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Hey guys How are you today?, Guys I was scrapping my old hard drives and getting the pieces but one of the platters is really hard to unscrew, whenever I use the torx screwdriver number 8, the platter spins, and when stopping the platter it doesnt unscrew. I dont care about the platter just want to remove it lol, I already scrapped what I needed. The Hard drive is a Toshiba and I unscrew everything just the platter remaining and the middle screw holding it together.

Thank you so much for the help guys.

Solution
Lol, the magnets are great for the fridge.

Try impact driver.
Also good for home improvement. They make good stud finders.

Swipe back and forth up and down...until you find a screw.
Yay...that's probably a stud.
Do it again 16" over, find a screw. Yep....studs.

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
If you opened your HDD outside of a clean room I would just garbage everything. What do you want to do exactly?
Keep the platter out of the drive, and keep it just as the platter, but its still attached to the drive with a torx screw and I am not able to unscrew it. If I try to unscrew it it spins and The drive was already garbage obsolete I upgraded so I am just collecting the parts thats all

Keep the platter out of the drive, and keep it just as the platter, but its still attached to the drive with a torx screw and I am not able to unscrew it. If I try to unscrew it it spins and The drive was already garbage obsolete I upgraded so I am just collecting the parts thats all

Yes but why are you keeping the platters? Those platters are done for and can't be reused.

Is this just for fun? :)

Reactions: jimenezbcg

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Yes but why are you keeping the platters? Those platters are done for and can't be reused.

Is this just for fun? :)
Yes just for fun and keeping the parts as well as the magnets, its like an experiment after all idnt like that data running around, had company info there of my work as personal stuff. I already upgraded memory in my system