News How to Up the BIOS on a PC: 3 Ways to Get New Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Here is a tip: Never update your BIOS unless you have to.

I used to work at a PC store. The number of systems people brought in because they were told to update the BIOS was insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSGBryan

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
Asrock and some other mobo makers advise not updating the BIOS unless you have an issue that the newer BIOS specifically addresses. The BIOS updates tend to have cryptic definitions but one can usually determine if their system has a bug listed as fixed in the newer BIOS.

For those with new mobo architectures like the AM5, expect several BIOS updates until the mobo makers sort out all of the issues that occur with any new platform. It's worth noting that many of these early BIOS are "Beta" BIOS so you use them at your own risk until they have been fully validated.

D

Deleted member 14196

That’s always been my contention. Unless there’s a specific reason to do it, it shouldn’t be done even as just general troubleshooting. I think on this site they advise to do it is given out way to freely.

I upgraded mine only so I could install windows 11 and that’s a good example of when to do it

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The problem is that AMD with their microcode updates make it desirable to upgrade your BIOS to solve certain bugs.

I don't know if Intel is the same way; I haven't had an Intel CPU in a while.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Status
Not open for further replies.