[SOLVED] How to update BIOS on Asus Maximus VI Extreme?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I'm here today because my motherboard is acting weird, which I'll definitely elaborate IF my issue presists after installing a fresh BIOS. This will save time for all us. So let's start with my RIG,

i7 4790k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo
16GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
500GB Seagate 7200RPM
Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1080
Thermaltake TR2-600W
Reddragon Sideswipe Case

Ok so now i wanna install a fresh bios on my mobo via USB Drive. So can anyone help me out because I've never ever done this before. Where to download the BIOS from? How to install it? My Mobo supports Dual BIOS so should that be kept in mind before installing BIOS like do i have to install it seperately for each BIOS chip? TIA! Please feel free to ask anything you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
First off, you don't install BIOS, you update it, since the board would not function without a BIOS on it. It's installed from the factory, mind you hence why the right term would be update BIOS as opposed to installing BIOS.

Second, you should think about ditching that awful PSU in your build since it can and will take out your entire investment in your build, which will end up being more headache than just updating the BIOS on your motherboard.

Third, What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? To identify that, you will need to go into BIOS, hitting DEL right after powering the system. The BIOS version should be mentioned on the top left(or right) hand corner.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, you don't install BIOS, you update it, since the board would not function without a BIOS on it. It's installed from the factory, mind you hence why the right term would be update BIOS as opposed to installing BIOS.

Second, you should think about ditching that awful PSU in your build since it can and will take out your entire investment in your build, which will end up being more headache than just updating the BIOS on your motherboard.

Third, What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? To identify that, you will need to go into BIOS, hitting DEL right after powering the system. The BIOS version should be mentioned on the top left(or right) hand corner.

Reactions: taimoorbaig382
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
you get the bios from here - https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/specifications/ or you would but websites not showing me anything, I think its down for maintenance

Your motherboard manual tells you how to update the bios, I have seen enough Asus motherboard manuals to know that. Its EZ update 3 or something

you download bios from website
put it on a USB
boot into the bios
look on the tools menu for EZ Flash 2
see here for steps inside BIOS - https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1013222/

DUAL bios - I think there is a switch on the motherboard that shows which bios you are using, so I believe you would need to flick it to flash the 2 different chips. I am not certain as its a fairly new feature and I haven't seen it a lot. What I would do is flash 1 and then swap and see what version other one has before proceeding with anything on it. 1 flash might do both bios, I don't know. I would ask on the https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?127-ROG-Discussion forums before going any firther with that

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Noted, i cannot determine the version of BIOS because my Motherboard it's not posting.

Sometimes it keeps restarting with 00 Code (onboard digital meter or whatever it is)

Sometimes it just keeps running on 00 Code but doesn't post

Sometimes it lights up the red CPU Light

Sometimes it lights up the red VGA Light

Sometimes it lights up the yellow PCIEx16 lights (mostly on 3rd and 4th slot)

Sometimes it runs perfectly with 99 Code

Sometimes it runs perfectly with AO code

Sometimes it just starts up perfectly and freezes while im in BIOS

Sometimes it freezes or turns off while I'm using my pc like browsing or gaming

Sometimes the onboard Digital meter starts flickering while the mobo is trying to post

And much much more combinations of all these issues

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
you get the bios from here - https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/specifications/ or you would but websites not showing me anything, I think its down for maintenance

Your motherboard manual tells you how to update the bios, I have seen enough Asus motherboard manuals to know that. Its EZ update 3 or something

you download bios from website
put it on a USB
boot into the bios
look on the tools menu for EZ Flash 2
see here for steps inside BIOS - https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1013222/

DUAL bios - I think there is a switch on the motherboard that shows which bios you are using, so I believe you would need to flick it to flash the 2 different chips. I am not certain as its a fairly new feature and I haven't seen it a lot. What I would do is flash 1 and then swap and see what version other one has before proceeding with anything on it. 1 flash might do both bios, I don't know. I would ask on the https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?127-ROG-Discussion forums before going any firther with that

The link you provided is dead, I've been trying the same link since last week

Thanks for the Installation procedure but i wanted to update my BIOS without powering my PC on. I heard somewhere that it is possible by pressing the buttons present with the usb slots. One is some kind of a reset or rewind button with green light (Round curved arrow on it) and the other is some kind of a connect button maybe (two blocks of chain connecting with each other are present on that button)

Colif

Win 11 Master
now i see its Z87, I wonder if Asus haven't removed the website for it, as they have for my Z97 board, i noticed that last week.'

i don't think a bios update is going to help. if it worked perfectly fine until recently, something terminal has happened

it could be the PSU as Lutfi suggested.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
now i see its Z87, I wonder if Asus haven't removed the website for it, as they have for my Z97 board, i noticed that last week.'

i don't think a bios update is going to help. if it worked perfectly fine until recently, something terminal has happened

it could be the PSU as Lutfi suggested.
I've tried with another PSU as well, same issue presists.... I'm quite sure it's because of bios because it all started from freezing while gaming and then things started to speed up with multiple scenarios. Please note that motherboard DOES NOT act weird when powered on without the 4+4 pin ATX Connector. It just stays at 00 code and keeps running without posting

Colif

Win 11 Master
which of the sometimes is the most common?`

its difficult to tell what cause might be since motherboard appears to be all over the place with its blame, so I would think about getting it repaired as without spare parts, you can't tell what cause is. You can't test anything on the board if it doesn't even post

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
which of the sometimes is the most common?`

its difficult to tell what cause might be since motherboard appears to be all over the place with its blame, so I would think about getting it repaired as without spare parts, you can't tell what cause is. You can't test anything on the board if it doesn't even post
Like if i try to power up my PC 5 times, it would definitely run perfectly 1 time... sometimes it keeps on running for an hour or more or sometimes it won't run even for a full minute... one more thing i would like to share is that last night fortunately PC started to work fine as long as game was not played, as soon as there is load on CPU on GPU (tried with Call of Duty:AW) it freezes and just powers off without any blue screen error.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
it could just be the PSU as lutfi suggested but without spares to test it, it can be difficult to nail down.

if you have a multimeter you can test the PSU. Otherwise I would take it to a shop.
Pc is running fine now, I'm gona check for how long it runs fine at idle state.... btw I'm gonna try it with a smaller GPU and a different PSU just to check whether it runs fine or not... (I've tried this before but still there were same issues as discussed above)

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

I managed to check my BIOS version... It is:

ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME ACPI BIOS REVISION 1302

TRENDING THREADS