Question How to update BIOS while not being able to access PC

Jan 9, 2020
So I just received a new CPU for my PC. I got an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, while previously having an AMD Ryzen 5 1400. I installed it pretty quickly and without difficulty but have run into a problem when trying to boot up. I would turn it on and it would run for a few seconds, at least the fans would start and the RGB would glow. Then it would turn off and turn back on again. I tried switching back to my original and the same thing happened. I have tried clearing the CMOS, and that has not seemed to do anything. I also tried removing the battery for 10 minutes and nothing happened. I am pretty certain from reading other people’s issues that I needed to update my BIOS prior to switching, but did not know at the time. I am wondering if this is the problem, and how I can fix it despite being able to access my PC. This is my first time upgrading my PC and any feedback would be much appreciated. My specs are as follows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400/ 3600
Motherboard: Asrock x370 Killer SLI
GPU: AMD Ryzen 460
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8 GB C15

Last edited:
You have to install the 1400 (There is no Ryzen 5 1440) again and update your BIOS.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

The 3600 is supported on your motherboard but you need the 5.40 BIOS update.

Can you tell us what is the BIOS version you have right now by putting back that 1400. You will have to install some stuff between the BIOS updates. That's why I want to know your current version so I can give you a step by step guide.

Jan 9, 2020
You have to install the 1400 (There is no Ryzen 5 1440) again and update your BIOS.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Killer SLI/index.asp#BIOS

The 3600 is supported on your motherboard but you need the 5.40 BIOS update.

Can you tell us what is the BIOS version you have right now by putting back that 1400. You will have to install some stuff between the BIOS updates. That's why I want to know your current version so I can give you a step by step guide.
When I try to reinstall, my fans will keep going louder and then softer. Nothing is happening with my monitor or anything. This has been going for a few minutes and I am not sure what to do.