Question How to update BIOS with no video signal or CD drive?

Jun 2, 2019
Built a new (compatible) PC and there's no video signal. Have tried swapping HDMI cables, booting with 1 stick of RAM, checking CPU placement etc. All lights are on and fans spin with no apparent problem but still no video signal from GPU or MOBO ports 😭

I want to update the BIOS but there is no CD drive. Will I need to buy a CD drive or is there some way of putting it onto an Auto-run bootable flash drive?

MOBO: MSI B350M Gaming Pro
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1600
GPU: GTX1060-3GD5/192bit
RAM: Viper DDR4-8gb x2
SSD: Patriot Burst 256gb
HDD: Seagate 1tb
PSU: Kentek KTPS-650-12S

Thanks for reading 🙏

Jun 2, 2019
You don't need a CD drive for Bios update. Download the bios file from MSI support to an empty pen drive formatted to Fat32. Use the M-Flash utility in Bios as per page 18 in your MB Manual.

You will not get video from the MB since that CPU has none. You shouldn't need a BIOS update for that CPU either, I suspect something else is wrong, Try with one RAM in A2 slot, reset CMOS and make sure all is connected right.

Thanks for responding! I tried the aforementioned tips to no avail :( going to try a new motherboard and will update you tomorrow!

I think I shorted my current one since I initially put it in the case without spacers. 🤦‍♀️