Question How to update BIOS with Ryzen 5900x?

ivan0590_SPAIN

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
Hello.
I have recently bought these new hardware for my current PC:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard: Asus X-570 TUF Gaming Plus
  • RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C18D-32GTZN Trident Z Neo
  • GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC
  • Water Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
I assambled all today but when I powered on the computer I didn't get a POST. Obviously, the problem must be the BIOS. When I bought everything on November 5 I knew that I would have to update the BIOS, but I imagined that the update would be somehow possible. But now I have realized I may be on trouble since I can't update from Windows or the BIOS and the motherboard doesn't have a button to flash it on the back. Also, this is my first Ryzen PC, so I don't have any other Ryzen CPU apart from the 5900x.
I have tried to download the last update from the ASUS website and put it on a flash drive, but I'm still getting nothing, the screen stays black all the time.
There's something I could do? Or are the only options available changing the motherboard to one that has the flash button or buying a cheap CPU to update and then refund it?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hello.
I have recently bought these new hardware for my current PC:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard: Asus X-570 TUF Gaming Plus
  • RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C18D-32GTZN Trident Z Neo
  • GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC
  • Water Cooling: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
I assambled all today but when I powered on the computer I didn't get a POST. Obviously, the problem must be the BIOS. When I bought everything on November 5 I knew that I would have to update the BIOS, but I imagined that the update would be somehow possible. But now I have realized I may be on trouble since I can't update from Windows or the BIOS and the motherboard doesn't have a button to flash it on the back. Also, this is my first Ryzen PC, so I don't have any other Ryzen CPU apart from the 5900x.
I have tried to download the last update from the ASUS website and put it on a flash drive, but I'm still getting nothing, the screen stays black all the time.
There's something I could do? Or are the only options available changing the motherboard to one that has the flash button or buying a cheap CPU to update and then refund it?
Take the motherboard to a a local computer shop to get the BIOS updated.

Reactions: ivan0590_SPAIN

ivan0590_SPAIN

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
Si
Take the motherboard to a a local computer shop to get the BIOS updated.
Since I want to have my PC working asap, I have another plan. Tomorrow shops will be close in my region, so I have bought in Amazon the cheapest Ryzen 3000 that they could bring me tomorrow, a Ryzen 3400G. I will update the BIOS with it and then I will refund it.
Thanks anyway!

BacKFlasH

Honorable
Jan 4, 2015
Hi Ivan0590, I am in exactly the same position.
I have just bought myself all new parts for a fresh build. Been using a laptop for the last few years so I have no old spares laying around.

My hardware is:

CPU:Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: Asus X-570 TUF Gaming Plus
Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3600 ( CMK16GX4M2D3600X18 )
GTX 970 (for the time being)
Corsair 850W

I am not able to get into POST either and I was also thinking it might be the outdated BIOS.
I was stuck with a yellow DRAM LED on the motherboard though, have you experienced this issue as well?

Seems weird to me that the issue would be the DRAM since it is on their QVL list...

Was also considering just getting a cheap ZEN 2 CPU and returning it after updating the bios. There is no computer stores open for another few weeks due to Covid.

Last edited: