How to update network drivers on a new server without internet

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I just installed windows server 2016 evaluation on a PC at work to do some testing. I disconnected the drive already in the computer leaving only the new one that the os is installed on.

I've been trying to get the driver on a USB and bring it to the other computer to install but nothing seems to be working.

The motherboard is ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 and i'm just trying to connect to the internet through the on board ethernet ports.

I tried using a USB wifi dongle and transfered it's driver over but when I try to install them i get an error message saying "Wlanapi.dll is missing from your computer".

any ideas on what i should try?

Solution
You have to get the Driver from the Intel Download Center. I already gave you the Name of the Intel LAN Chipset :)

If you have no experiences with solving these problems, you should become comfortable with general Windows Enviroments first, before going for an Windows Server Experience.
May 17, 2018
WLANAPI: Is the WLAN service installed and active?
Windows Server is not designed for WiFi. Its only optimized for LAN connections and acting as a WLAN Access Point if neccessary. WLAN should work, but you have to enable the WLAN service or install it.

May 17, 2018
You have to look via Administrative Tools >> Services

How did you try to install the LAN-Drivers? Wich LAN-Chipset is used by the Mainboard? Can you get a driver from the Chipset manufacturer, instead of ASUS?

May 17, 2018
Intel® 82579, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
Intel® LAN- Dual interconnect between the Integrated LAN controller and Physical Layer (PHY)

Download it from the Intel Download center.

You have to install the Net Framework 3.5 Package via the Administration Center (Adding a feature) (As i remember. Maybe thats why u lost the battle)

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018

I've been trying to download the driver update from ASUS' site but when i go to the page for my motherboard and select an operating system nothing comes up, I've tried all the options and no driver downloads come up. I can't find anywhere else on their site either.

I tried downloading it from some other site but but transffering it over and attempting to force the update (through device manager) it didn't work. the download was a .rar file, is there some other way i need to install it?

May 17, 2018
You have to get the Driver from the Intel Download Center. I already gave you the Name of the Intel LAN Chipset :)

If you have no experiences with solving these problems, you should become comfortable with general Windows Enviroments first, before going for an Windows Server Experience.

Solution