Question How to update the BIOS on my Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P desktop PC ?

Jun 17, 2023
Hello, I have an old Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P pc, with an MSI-7293VP ver 2.0 motherboard

It still has the original bios since its purchase in 2007.

But this one is quite buggy :

-USB boot key which are detected only after a clear cmos

-Sometimes peripherals do the bios randomly freeze when plugged in

- It ignores boot order randomly while cmos battery is working

-Other random bug

This does not prevent Windows from working but it makes starting the computer complicated.

Here cpuz :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13kVlSZ3UgJqAbw9EUHYZZkoyVRuxnQcg

I found some bios on Fujitsu website :

https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexQuickSearchResult.asp?lng=COM&q=MSI MS-7293

I think the most recent version available for my motherboard is this one :

« Biosupdate for MSI MS-7293VP V2.4c ISO-Image »

The site says you have to burn it on a CD-RW with Nero but i dont have CD-RW Can i use a USB ?

I saw that some bios update needed FreeDos to launch the updater program.

So I would like to know : Is the right version ?, How to make a backup of the current bios ? (in case), And how to do the update ?

Thanks for your help and advice :)

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
You can still buy CD-RW and CD-R discs. Your Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P appears to have an optical drive, so follow the instructions on the Fujitsu web site and burn a BIOS update disc.

I doubt it makes any difference whether you use ReWriteable (CD-RW) or Single Use (CD-R) discs. The BIOS file will only occupy a few MB.

You could even use DVD-RW, DVD-R or DVD+R discs, if your optical drive supports these formats.

At a guess, Fujitsu might specify CD-RW so you can backup the existing BIOS before updating. Read the Fujistsu BIOS update instructions. They're usually pretty good.

If the optical drive in your PC has died, you can buy a second hand DVD-RW for $12 on eBay. Check first to see if it's IDE (PATA) or SATA.

You could try Rufus to create a bootable USB memory stick, but it's probably safer to follow the method described by Fujistu and use an optical disc. You don't want to corrupt the BIOS and break the computer.