How to update windows 98se to more than 16 colours

drawstop

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
My PC has 98se but only 16 colours. Adobe Photoshop tells me it needs more. What can I do? An no - I do not want XP or 7.
Many thanks for any help.
Richard.

16 colors is the standard generic VGA Windows graphic driver. Windows uses this when you, or whoever did the original OS installation first install windows as it is a very simple driver that works so you can perform the OS installation on any computer. To enable all modes and colors, you need to install the correct drivers for your specific graphic hardware.

If the OP is running a system that has Win 98 on it, I may be wrong, but I would assume that the system is too old to be trying to install anything newer than XP on. Win 7 to be sure would not support any of the hardware on a system that old.

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Sounds like a video card driver problem. Do you still have the drivers for your video card - if it is ati/amd or nvidia, it should still be available as a legacy driver on their site.

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

And is prone to viruses infections. wish he don't use it to access personnal infos, like bank accounts...

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Yeah. afaik, clamwin is the only virus protection that still does updates for win98se, and it doesn't score very well, and I wouldn't trust it to protect anything.

I rebuilt my windows 98 system a couple years back (it got slow arond 2004/2005 and I put it away I had already had a new laptop with xp) and after a few affordable hardware upgrades and a clean install it worked really well (it was really snappy given that everything was relatively stripped down). But all I used it for was playing late 90's windows games and some dosbox gaming that looked best on a 4 x 3 monitor; it was just a fun diversion and I never used it for the internet except for downloading cetain specific driver updates.

Hell the company I used to work for is still using 10-15 year old G4 and G5 Macs to to run the full Adobe Graphics Suite on.

Major Winter-Storm

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

I own computers with Windows 7, XP Pro, Me and 98SE. The 98SE is used as a stand alone (not networked) to control precision cutting equipment. The manufacturer will not upgrade the software without new equipment being purchased. The equipment would not function when XP attempted to run the program in the 98SE mode (neither Vista or 64Bit Windows 7 will recognize the software). I'm not going to run out and purchase new software, new laser printers, new scanners, and new cutting equipment because Microsoft believes my computer has passed a useful service life or they need to sell a new OS.

I need the parallel port. I need the serial ports to operate expensive equipment.
I still retrieve data from 3.5" floppies, 100mb Zip, and 2gb Orb drives.

Do something useful? I make a living. Is that good enough for you?
Tom

TRENDING THREADS