[SOLVED] How to upgrade a 2015 PC

Strings1298

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this,

I have recently come back to an old PC I built in 2015 that's been sat in an attic for a while and was wondering what the best course of action would be in regards to upgrading it to run current games (or if I even need to?)

The specs are:

Asus Z97A Mobo

MSI R9 380 4GB GPU

CX600 PSU

1TB HDD

240GB Samsung SSD

2x4GB Hyperx Fury DDR3 Ram

I haven't at all kept up with what's current or good in the last 3 years, the last stuff I remember hearing about was the GTX 1080 so I'm definitely a fair while behind!

Alternatively if you think my best course of action is just to sell everything and start again is there any concept of how much I might be able to get for it?

Alternatively PT.2 - If you think that upgrading is unnecessary and it'll get the job done as it currently is then be sure to let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
It really depends on which games you want to play AND your budget
There are a few recent games that require a better cpu than your 4c/4t i5

assuming you will be able to find some good deals on used parts AND that you want to play the latest most demanding games:
i7 4770K or 4790K
another 2x4gb Hyperx Fury for 16gb total
better PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
rtx 2070 super
or
rx 5700XT if you dont care about ray tracing

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Before we make a judgement, is this upgrade mainly for gaming?
If so, what screen resolution do you game at, and what is the v. refresh rate of the monitor? Example: 1080p/60 Hz.
What CPU do you have? Do you OC?

The most obvious weak spot is the aging gfx card, if for gaming.

Strings1298

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Apologies guys - completely forgot about the CPU. It's an i5 4670k.

Yes it's mainly going to be for gaming at 1080p/60 Hz.

I was concerned that if I upgraded the GPU for example would the motherboard/CPU/PSU be able to keep up with the new GPU? Then also, what new GPU's would you recommend?

Before we make a judgement, is this upgrade mainly for gaming?
If so, what screen resolution do you game at, and what is the v. refresh rate of the monitor? Example: 1080p/60 Hz.
What CPU do you have? Do you OC?

The most obvious weak spot is the aging gfx card, if for gaming.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Apologies guys - completely forgot about the CPU. It's an i5 4670k.

Yes it's mainly going to be for gaming at 1080p/60 Hz.

I was concerned that if I upgraded the GPU for example would the motherboard/CPU/PSU be able to keep up with the new GPU? Then also, what new GPU's would you recommend?
Let your budget be your guide. Right now, at 1080p, any gfx card faster than a RTX 2060 Super, GTX 1660 Ti, Vega 64 will start to see CPU bottleneck. Moving to a higher rez monitor would put more work on the GPU and eliminate that bottleneck, tho.
But that leaves a lot of gfx cards to choose from that surpass the aging R9-380.

Unless you have nothing else running in the background when you game, you could use more RAM. 16GB is still a good size.

It really depends on which games you want to play AND your budget
There are a few recent games that require a better cpu than your 4c/4t i5

assuming you will be able to find some good deals on used parts AND that you want to play the latest most demanding games:
i7 4770K or 4790K
another 2x4gb Hyperx Fury for 16gb total
better PSU: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
rtx 2070 super
or
rx 5700XT if you dont care about ray tracing

Solution