[SOLVED] How to upgrade a (i7 3770, GT 1030 2GB, 12GB DDR3 RAM) system?

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Hey!
Basically I have the aforementioned system on an ancient ASUS H61M-A mobo which hardly supports any modern hardware.
I'm thinking of two routes to go, in terms of upgrade:
#1 (keep the current GPU but buy the following):
  • GIGABYTE GA-A320M-H MOBO
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
#2 (keep the current MOBO and CPU but buy the following):
  • SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX580 8GB
Basically not sure if I should replace the CPU and MOBO right now, or just the GPU and wait with the other stuff for later? Which route would bring a more apparent improvement in gaming performance?

Solution
The problem with the A series mobo's is they are basic. Seriously basic. They are intended for office use with a G series APU where there's no performance needed other than to run Excel or Citrix. They don't boost worth anything, no faster ram, no overclock of any sort, minimal componentry like VRM's etc which limits cpu choice. A 3600 on an A series mobo is a disaster waiting to happen.

The B series is a step up. Intended for businesses and gaming on the average scale, using discrete gpus, various storage options, higher performance needs/requirements and covering every cpu in the lineup.

Minimum ram speed for Any Ryzen cpu is 2133MHz. Same for any Intel 6th gen or newer. Absolutely requiring DDR4 as that's the slot size on the...
I would upgrade the graphics card first. The 3770 is older but should pair up decently with a card like what you are looking at.

You could probably go with something like a gtx 1660 super if you wanted to. Don't get me wrong, the Ryzen 3600 is a good processor, that's what I've got in my system. But the GT 1030 will hold the 3600 back a lot. I think if you pair a good graphics card with the 3770 you'll find it probably still has a bit more performance left until you can afford to go for a new cpu/ram/board, and carry over the new gpu.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey!
Basically I have the aforementioned system on an ancient ASUS H61M-A mobo which hardly supports any modern hardware.
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Basically not sure if I should replace the CPU and MOBO right now, or just the GPU and wait with the other stuff for later? Which route would bring a more apparent improvement in gaming performance?
What do you do with this system?
I would not recommend an A320 motherboard. A B450 would be the minimum recommended motherboard.

Reactions: punkncat

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Jeez Louise this forum is amazing. Can't believe you guys replied so quick:)

I'm aware that the mobo I scoped out isn't exactly top notch but I sort of meant that as an average example of an entry level AM4 mobo. I've been looking at the B450 for a long time just couldn't recall its specific name for the post, but yep, THAT would be the mobo replacement.

There are, however, some variables I haven't taken into consideration yet but thought I'd ask away while at it. My highest concern is the DDR3 @1333MHz RAM cards I have (4+8GB).. Is there a way on Earth they could function on a B450 if I went that route? How about the other way around.. Would the current, dusty old H61M-A mobo support an RX580 or the GTX 1660?

Again, insanely thankful for such quick, sensible responses!

quick edit: I've been playing this mess they call GTA V these days and it runs alrightish.. definitely a bit of a struggle but it runs. Rather looking into games such as Rust or No Man's Sky. From what I've heard I'm already near their requisites in terms of hardware but those specifications tend to be inaccurate plus an update is due.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
There are, however, some variables I haven't taken into consideration yet but thought I'd ask away while at it. My highest concern is the DDR3 @1333MHz RAM cards I have (4+8GB).. Is there a way on Earth they could function on a B450 if I went that route? How about the other way around.. Would the current, dusty old H61M-A mobo support an RX580 or the GTX 1660?
NO. AM4 CPUs require DDR4 memory.

Any modern processor needs a motherboard that supports ddr4 ram.
Since you apparently want better gaming performance, a Graphics upgrade is in order.
GT1030 is about the lowest card suitable for gaming.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
RX580 cards are fast and cheap. But, they are power hungry. Many were used for mining so I would not buy a used one.
What is the make/model of your power supply?
That is what puts an upper bound on potential graphics upgrades.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

My highest concern is the DDR3 @1333MHz RAM cards I have (4+8GB).. Is there a way on Earth they could function on a B450 if I went that route?
No. Not possible. B450 requires DDR4.
How about the other way around.. Would the current, dusty old H61M-A mobo support an RX580 or the GTX 1660?
Yes. Should be no problems.
Just make sure, your PSU can support GPU upgrade.
And also make sure, your new graphics card can fit into your pc case.

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
NO. AM4 CPUs require DDR4 memory.
It wasn't exactly in plan to add RAM to the cart but I'd have to, apparently, if I wanted an upgrade on the base of operations (mobo), rather than the graphical unit alone.
What is the make/model of your power supply?
That is what puts an upper bound on potential graphics upgrades.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Those are some useful guidelines indeed! Sweet to have all these generations in one spot.
As for my PSU, without info on the exact specific model, I can only confirm it has a total power of 460W.
Just make sure, your PSU can support GPU upgrade.
And also make sure, your new graphics card can fit into your pc case.
The case is definitely spacious enough. The PSU's total wattage is mentioned above.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The problem with the A series mobo's is they are basic. Seriously basic. They are intended for office use with a G series APU where there's no performance needed other than to run Excel or Citrix. They don't boost worth anything, no faster ram, no overclock of any sort, minimal componentry like VRM's etc which limits cpu choice. A 3600 on an A series mobo is a disaster waiting to happen.

The B series is a step up. Intended for businesses and gaming on the average scale, using discrete gpus, various storage options, higher performance needs/requirements and covering every cpu in the lineup.

Minimum ram speed for Any Ryzen cpu is 2133MHz. Same for any Intel 6th gen or newer. Absolutely requiring DDR4 as that's the slot size on the motherboard, you'll not find (now) a newer gen motherboard with DDR3 or DDR3L compatibility.

I7 3770/Rx580/gtx1660 will be fine for normal single player gaming @ 1080p, but suffers with the much higher AI in multi-player online gaming, severely cpu limited with newer, more intense cpu needs.

Solution
Do not trust wattage without knowing the exact make/model of the psu.
A cheap psu will not deliver advertised wattage, and will do so only at room temperature.
Your GT1030 uses minimal power and does not need aux 6 pin power .
If your psu is of decent quality and has the requisite 8 pin connector for a GTX1660, that is a better way to go.
If in doubt, a GTX1650 that does not need any aux power would be a considerable upgrade and a safe way to go.

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
The problem with the A series mobo's is they are basic. Seriously basic. They are intended for office use with a G series APU where there's no performance needed other than to run Excel or Citrix.
I've certainly noticed it's heavily capped at upgrades. My naive self even wanted an NVME M.2 SSD for it at some point but oh well..
I7 3770/Rx580/gtx1660 will be fine for normal single player gaming @ 1080p, but suffers with the much higher AI in multi-player online gaming, severely cpu limited with newer, more intense cpu needs.
Having learned all the things above, the second route, where I only go for a GPU for now, might need to be extended by a new PSU as well.
If your psu is of decent quality and has the requisite 8 pin connector for a GTX1660, that is a better way to go.
Just checked and here's the exact model and details of my current PSU. (An FSP460-60HCN):

Pk2V42x.jpeg

I have a soft spot in my heart for FSP; it was the first power supply I ever used.
FSP makes their own units and so far as I can tell, they are of decent quality.
You have a 6 and an 8 pin connector so a GTX1660 should be fine.
I like the EVGA cards, they have a good warranty and support.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey!
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Def buy the RX 580 first and enjoy her. At 1080p you will get your 60fps without dips depending on title. Later on you have a bigger project ahead of you with a CPU MOBO and RAM upgarde. What is your budget for the upgrade. Now a days 8 core processor is the minimum. You can grab a B450 and 3800x and 16GB RAM Kit for under 500 dollars. It will be 100x more powerful then what you have now. 💯🤷‍♀️👶🖐✝

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Its cooling was very highly praised in the advert but if it's in fact sub-par then I'll look into other offers instead. As a potential PSU upgrade, the Kolink Core 600W seemed reasonable for cards such as the GTX 1660 or RX580.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be careful with online adverts. They intentionally blow smoke up your *** just to make a sale. Most times it's in reality just smoke, taken out of context or deliberately misleading, like saying the Aero has great cooling (but that was in comparison to another brand or the reference cooler, stuck in a box with no fresh air)

How about the ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo OC 8 gig? If that could fit the mobo, I'd buy a proper PSU for it and call it a day. If not, then 1660 6gigs it is.
From a performance point of view, both cards are comparable.
Any graphics card will have a cooler that is capable of doing the job.
I like blower coolers, they get gpu heat directly out the back of the case.
The small blower can get loud under load. I never hear mine on a gtx1080ti so I guess it depends.
Fan coolers do a good job of getting heat off of the graphics card, but then, they dump in into the case where case cooling needs to deal with it.
Graphics card benchmarks are done on an open test bed, not in a case.

moonshnr

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
I decided to postpone the upgrade until I learn about the price of the cheapest 3000 series card. If I can afford let’s say a 3060, then I’ll upgrade the mobo, ram and CPU, and anything else it needs in my system, accordingly to how I laid it out in the original post. If even the 3060 is too pricey for me then I’ll go for a GTX 1660s and a good enough PSU for it, leaving everything else for later. All of this isn’t to say this whole thread was pointless as I’ve learnt a lot from your input, which I’m thankful for.