How to upgrade ABIT motherboard

DodgersFan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I'm having trouble upgrading the Bios on my motherboard. I've tried following the instructions on the ABIT website but I keep getting an error.

I first create an MS-DOS startup disk. Then I move the files from the zip file I downloaded and copy them onto the floppy disk. I restart the computer and boot from the floppy. I get an error about not finding c:\windows\command.com. I go ahead an type runme.bat the floppy drive reads the disk quickly but then nothing happens. I get no message on the screen. Can someone help me out and let me know what I doing wrong?

Solution

This is nice on new boards, but not on all boards and for sure its not on older boards.

Once in DOS.

Type a: <Enter>
at the a:\> prompt enter the following without the quotes

"awdflash m615b_15.bin" <Enter>

This should start the flash.

I personally use a Windows 98 CD as a bootdisk for this type of thing. then the floppy for the flasher and rom/bin file

UBCD also has freedos that should work, but not ALL software is...

DodgersFan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
There is no autoexec.bat on the floppy. The bios update gives me abitfae.bat, awdflash.exe, m615b_15.bin, m615b_15.txt, and runme.bat. I searched for comman.com and copied it over to the floppy but I still get the same error message.

csodey

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
You shouldn't need to boot from the floppy drive. You should just put the downloaded bios onto a floppy and enter bios when you restart your computer, usually the DEL key. Within bios find the option to upgrade your bios image and point to your floppy for the bios image file.

This is nice on new boards, but not on all boards and for sure its not on older boards.

Once in DOS.

Type a: <Enter>
at the a:\> prompt enter the following without the quotes

"awdflash m615b_15.bin" <Enter>

This should start the flash.

I personally use a Windows 98 CD as a bootdisk for this type of thing. then the floppy for the flasher and rom/bin file

UBCD also has freedos that should work, but not ALL software is compatible so use at your own risk.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Here are some DOS boot CD images. I have not tried them. Also note, DOS can not see NTFS drives. So you will most likely only see the a: (flpppy)
http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-images.html

Solution

DodgersFan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I tried the last solution but that didn't work.
Does it make a difference if I'm using a USB floppy drive instead of an internal floppy?

DodgersFan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I got it to work.

Using the USB floppy, I created a Windows 98 Boot Disk.
I then put the new bios files on another floppy. I booted the W98 disk and as soon as the A: prompt came up, I inserted the floppy with the bios in it.

I just received Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm going to put it on the computer and see how everything goes.

Thank you for all your help.