[SOLVED] how to upgrade memory ram

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hi folks

i have old motherboard Gigabyte G1 Assassin v1 motherboard i think it was one of the great motherboard back then anyway i have 12gb memory ram i wanted upgrade to 24gb has its only limited in motherboard, im trying search a DDR3 triple channel kit memory its very hard to obtain one since its obselete

my question is can i buy dual memory ddr3 would it work on motherboard? or i have to find get a ddr3 triple channel memory?

thanks

Solution
A triple-channel set is your best bet if you don't want to mess around and rely on luck to some extent.

Another option considering that triple-channel is an oddball configuration from nearly a decade ago would be to save some more and go for a whole platform upgrade instead. I know that if Zen 2 rumors are true, I may very well be upgrading my i5-3470 to a Ryzen 3600 later this year or possibly something from Intel's Icelake line in the unlikely event that Intel decides to price those reasonably and manages to produce enough of them to stock shelves.

InvalidError

Titan
Mixing DIMMs from different sets is hit-or-miss. It may work, it may work with some manual tweaking, it may work with much manual tweaking and down-clocking / loosening timings, it could also turn out to be completely hopeless. The faster the memory clock and the tighter the memory timings are, the more chances you have of running into compatibility issues and having to dial things back to get the DIMMs to work together.

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

guess i need to find triple channel memory ram

InvalidError

Titan
A triple-channel set is your best bet if you don't want to mess around and rely on luck to some extent.

Another option considering that triple-channel is an oddball configuration from nearly a decade ago would be to save some more and go for a whole platform upgrade instead. I know that if Zen 2 rumors are true, I may very well be upgrading my i5-3470 to a Ryzen 3600 later this year or possibly something from Intel's Icelake line in the unlikely event that Intel decides to price those reasonably and manages to produce enough of them to stock shelves.

Solution