How to upgrade to Windows 10 64bit?

Hardwarino

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Okay so I got everything set, a windows 10 64bit ISO file which I downloaded through Media Creation Tool, a processor with a 64bit instruction set, a Windows 10 Pro which is activated.

Question 1: Now, how do I upgrade my Windows 10 32bit to 64bit properly?

Additional Question:

Plus, I saw on the internet that you have to upgrade 32bit to 64 bit. Again? Please tell me more about this.

Solution
only way to upgrade is a fresh install using the 64 bit version of installer. There is no other upgrade path.

When you use the windows 10 media creation tool make sure it makes a 64bit version and install it

when you reach stage of installer asking for licence, click "skip" and win 10 will auto activate after you finished.

Colif

Win 11 Master
only way to upgrade is a fresh install using the 64 bit version of installer. There is no other upgrade path.

When you use the windows 10 media creation tool make sure it makes a 64bit version and install it

when you reach stage of installer asking for licence, click "skip" and win 10 will auto activate after you finished.

Solution

Hardwarino

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

I don't have any external drives.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only said USB/DVD as I wasn't sure what you made with the ISO.

external drives? you mean DVD? I am not sure what that is referring to. You can't just upgrade to 64 from within windows, you have to boot from a USB drive or DVD.

Hardwarino

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

Can't I just mount it with something? Like using Daemon Tools to mount it?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can install windows through a mounted iso file. i have done it many times already. both as an upgrade from win 7/8 and as a fresh install over a current win 10 install. i have not tried it with dameon tools but the native windows iso mounting does it fine.

it is my preferred method for upgraded to win 10 from win 7/8 actually. also handy for getting an update to win 10 done when it won't show in windows update. for instance new anniversary update did not show on my pc's so i downloaded the iso file and installed it over current win 10 with the iso file mounted via native windows mounting. no problems at all with it installing that way.

^
And what happens when the drive is wiped, as must happen when moving from 32-bit to 64-bit, and the .iso no longer exists? ;)

In actuality the disk wipe would not happen as you would be trying to format the volume on which the installation media is mounted, thus returning us to "No, you cannot do that".

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when you boot to the windows disk the first thing it does is load the files it needs to the hdd. same thing happens when installing through an iso file. when it reboots it goes to those files it loaded just like it always has. i have personally done this both as an "upgrade" saving personal programs and settings as well as a fresh install that formatted the drive.

think about the steps it takes when it installs. it loads drivers and files, then starts the install process. when it finally reboots, it does not need the disk anymore but instead finishes based on what is on the hdd and not the disk. it only uses the boot disk/usb to load the files and drivers the first time and then does not need it again. it will do the same from an iso.

i have not gone from 32-bit to 64-bit this way but i have gone from home to pro and back as well as insider builds to public builds and back many times.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok so i actually just tried to do this from a mounted iso and it did not work. :(

i did not factor in that the 32-bit installer would not run from within 64-bit windows. (much like the media creation tool has to be the right version).

so for this you will have to create a bootable disk and install windows that way. either a usb or dvd drive and then boot that way. was worth a shot but you're gonna have to create some bootable media to make this change to 64-bit

Colif

Win 11 Master
Glad someone took time to test it. I already knew you couldn't install win 10 from another hdd so it seems some parts of install hard coded to look for USB or DVD (internal or external).

Mind you, I sure all these restrictions don't apply to enterprise.

Hardwarino

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

If it didn't work by mounting, then how many space the 64bit will take in the bootable media?