How to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8 enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seemly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
I just fixed my laptop after my old windows 8.1 single language went down, I got myself a windows 8 enterprise copy, however, I can't upgrade from enterprise to 8.1, is there is anyway to upgrade from windows 8 enterprise to 10? is there is iso to download when it's released? thanks indeed.

Solution

1. No, it's not 'free'. You can upgrade for free from a qualifying Windows OS. Enterprise does not qualify.
2. You can only download the final release OS if you have a qualifying OS. See #1
3. The Tech Preview was 'free', so that people could evaluate and provide feedback...

Alexander Moore

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I have the same problem Seemly. The "Get Windows 10" app doesn't appear to exist in 8.1 Enterprise in any way whatsoever.

At first I thought perhaps it was because I don't use a Microsoft account with 8.1, or because I uninstalled all the 8.1 apps when I first set-up my computer, though I felt like that the former should be irrelevant if Windows 7 users are getting the upgrade, and the latter should be irrelevant because those apps simply have nothing to do with the upgrade.

I recently found out that other Enterprise users seem to have the same issue, so I concluded that it's a problem with this specific version of Windows. Few people use Enterprise so I guess that's why most people don't seem to know what's wrong or any solution to it.

It could be possible that this is a deliberate choice by Microsoft so that businesses will still have to buy 10 while the home user won't. I'm a home user that uses Enterprise because it was the most complete version of Windows at the time, but I'm an odd case I guess, plus I'm using a not-so-legitimate-but-I-won't-bring-that-up-because-that's-probably-banned-on-this-forum version. Enterprise was marketed at what the name would suggest.

In the end I suppose what I'll have to do, and maybe you as well, is acquire an 8.1 Pro close to the release date of 10. I wanted to do a clean install from a USB anyway, so maybe I'll do that say, July 27th or something, when 10 is just days away.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 8 Enterprise + Windows 10 = you ask your IT dept

From the FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
------------------------------------------------------------
Can Enterprise customers get the free Windows 10 upgrade?

Enterprise customers with active Software Assurance subscription in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.
------------------------------------------------------------

Seemly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
It isn't a big problem I am getting a new gaming laptop which will probably have pro 8.1. but I wanted to install windows 10 on this one so it doesn't really get outdated. is there is anything i can do about downloading iso? I am not really up to speak to anyone, I mean, windows 10 is free, so why don't they make public iso? they made technical preview iso so can't they do same for final release? (Also can I download technical preview then later upgrade to 10?)

USAFRet

Titan

1. No, it's not 'free'. You can upgrade for free from a qualifying Windows OS. Enterprise does not qualify.
2. You can only download the final release OS if you have a qualifying OS. See #1
3. The Tech Preview was 'free', so that people could evaluate and provide feedback. Is was never a 'free OS'.
4. If you install the Tech Preview now, it will roll over to the final release version on or after July 29. If you wish to continue using it...you must remain a participant in the Insider Program. Meaning you accept whatever updates and changes they want to push to your PC, whenever they want to push it.
In effect, you remain a permanent beta tester. I would not do this on a main PC.

Solution

Seemly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
No sir, I didn't pirate it, if you read carefully, windows 10 is a free upgrade for 8.1 and windows 7. and I have windows 8.. even If I pirated it I am pretty sure I would have got the same problem.

USAFRet

Titan

1. You cannot upgrade from Win 8/8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 for free.
2. See #1.

Seemly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

I guess I will go with tech preview. thanks for your help, and also I do have license for my enterprise.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Windows 10 PRO is a free UPGRADE ONLY from Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Pro. Windows 10 Home is free UPGRADE ONLY for Windows 7 home and Windows 8.1 home users.

I don't believe Windows 10 enterprise is free for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.