How to upgrade?

Apr 27, 2018
So I'm looking to buy an HP Pavilion Power 580-023w and turn it into kind of a project. It has good specs out of the box but I plan on doing incremental upgrades in the future. However, I plan on upgrading the motherboard but I have no idea which motherboard will be both compatible with the Intel i5-7400 that's already in it, and future proof. I want a motherboard that will support upgrades for the foreseeable future. Any help would be appreciated.

Intel i5-7400 CPU

Gtx 1060 3gb gpu

2x4gb ddr4 ram

HP Odense2-K h170 chipset mobo

Solution
You can but I would use caution. Buying an OEM machine and planning to doing many upgrades is not such a good idea especially Dell or HP. Lots of potential for problems. Motherboards swaps are an especially bad idea due to use of proprietary parts. It also invalidate your Windows license as new motherboard = different computer.

The specs on that machine are fine although the lack of SSD is an issue.

CPU = Yes but the only realistic upgrade option would be i7 7700. The i7 7700k is not tested with this system. No 8th gen or newer CPU will work.

Motherboard = No strongly recommend do not attempt motherboard swaps on OEM machines.

RAM = Yes, easiest thing to upgrade if you ever want to go up to 16GB. For most people 8GB is...
One problem with buying HP PC's, is that they design some of their own components. Consequently, things like the mobo and power supply may not be standard size or use standard connectors. This can make it hard to upgrade, other than ram or drives. If you plan is to have a PC that you can upgrade over time, you would be much better off building your own PC, with standard size case, mobo, PSU, etc. It's unfortunately that RAM and GPU prices are so high right now. With careful shopping and monitoring PC component sites for sales, you'll be better off in the long run.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I5 7400 will fit in 100 or 200 series boards, not in 300 series. So in effect it is already obsolete. There is no future proof motherboard swap.

It is quite capable however. If it does not have an SSD that would be first priority. Get a sata data cable and sata power Y splitter

It has a standard MATX layout, so if you like the case you can rebuild it in the future. If you replace the PSU get a sata power to micro sata power connector for that laptop disc drive.

jr9

Estimable
You can but I would use caution. Buying an OEM machine and planning to doing many upgrades is not such a good idea especially Dell or HP. Lots of potential for problems. Motherboards swaps are an especially bad idea due to use of proprietary parts. It also invalidate your Windows license as new motherboard = different computer.

The specs on that machine are fine although the lack of SSD is an issue.

CPU = Yes but the only realistic upgrade option would be i7 7700. The i7 7700k is not tested with this system. No 8th gen or newer CPU will work.

Motherboard = No strongly recommend do not attempt motherboard swaps on OEM machines.

RAM = Yes, easiest thing to upgrade if you ever want to go up to 16GB. For most people 8GB is enough.

GPU = Yes, although the GTX 1060 will still be decent 5 years from now. Could be swapped out in the future assuming the card fits the case and the PSU is strong enough.

HDD = Yes, I would clone the HDD over to an SSD and use the HDD as storage. Simple, effective upgrade and very noticable.

Solution