[SOLVED] How to upscale AND increase fidelity from 1080p to 4K?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If this is in the wrong place, please move it.

So I've been on the hunt high and low on Google trying to figure things out but coming up short.

What I want to do:
- Upscale pre encoded 1080p video files to 4K resolution and increasing the fidelity along with it so it's closer to true 4K instead of being the same quality in a larger pixel space, or worse, getting completely borked.

What I am NOT trying to do:
- I am not just simply trying to re-encode a 1080p video at a 2160p resolution for whatever dumb reasons.

What I'm looking for as an answer:
- If this can't be properly done, or is a pain in the butt with current publicly available methods, then let me know and that'll be that.
Otherwise:
- Let me know what software I may need to use and what methods to use to achieve a proper upscale that can also increase quality just enough at least that it makes sense to upscale.
If this can't be properly done with free software that's fine and understandable, I'm already assuming this will most likely be done using Adobe products based on what I've read here and there on the web.
Need to know what plugins if any as well to use. Algorithms if need be, etc. etc.
Would definitely appreciate any guides/information that may exist on some forum somewhere or something that my Google-Fu couldn't parse up to this point to help me along with understanding things.

As it is, the video files I am wanting to upscale are pre-rendered and in a .webm format. They need to me .mp4 for what I am gonna use them for, so this already means I am having to re-encode them, and I figured if I can find a way to increase quality a bit to then upscale to 4K while I'm at it, then why not.

Thanks in advance for any insight and information you can provide. I am hoping this will result in a "yes you can by doing this" instead of "nope" that renders all my words here a somewhat waste of time to type out LOL.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You can't "increase fidelity" by upscaling 1080 to 2160. That's possible only on SyFi.

On top of that - .webm format is for streaming video, not for local storage. Are these videos yours?
Don't know what SyFi is.
I'm looking into using the detail preservation thing in Ae combined with Pr.
And it's a personal project for trying to improve (or at least preserve) detail while upscaling 1080p video to 4K.

And the videos are in a webm format. They are cutscenes from a video game ripped from the game.
That's the format they are naturally in within the game files.

SyFi == Science Fiction.

You have two pixels on the 1080 screen, each one with its color and intensity. Out of nowhere, you want realistic pixel between them, with its color and intensity. There is no information available in the original file what this color and intensity should be, as simply as that. "Upscaling" just assign some value between then, there's no magic involved.

If these two pixels happen to be on the edge between eg the sky and the roof top - does this middle point below to the sky, to the rooftop, or to the small bird perched on the rooftop?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I wasn't looking for anything magic, but something that could help fill the gaps artificially by looking at the surrounding pixels and making an educated guess so that when rendered out at a higher resolution and displayed on a 4K display, it doesn't look as bad as the original 1080p image being blown up in full screen on the same 4K display.

And was asking about what methods might exist that can attempt to do this.
One I've been looking at is the detail preservation option in Ae using dynamic link with Pr.

Wanted some better insight into this though so I decided to ask here, but so far haven't gotten a clear answer about it and instead have been told other things.

Also, it's Sci-Fi.
SyFy is a TV channel and it looks like you were mixing the two together which is probably why I didn't realize what that was at first.

I'm just gonna try and use the detail preservation option with Ae and Pr and see how it goes once I've rendered out a sample to compare with original.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador