[SOLVED] How to use 4 m.2 ssds in a pcie x16 slot without raid?

Mar 26, 2020
I know there are cards like the Asus hyper m.2, but these cards configure the ssds in raid 0. So how can I use 4 separated ssds with a single x16 slot?

Best regards
Johannes

Solution
That card DOES NOT configure in a RAID, in fact it has no controller at all. The motherboard must support PCIe bifurcation and further, at least for consumer boards, you can't easily run a discrete GPU with such a setup. There are adapters with controllers that will work without PCIe bifurcation (but generally the GPU condition remains) that CAN do RAID but you do not HAVE to do RAID on them. There are further adapters with controllers that MUST do RAID, for example Gigabyte's x8 PCIe 3.0 with the Marvell controller, because they don't bifurcate lanes.

I have an extensive write-up of the Hyper here; keep in mind, check the "preview thread" link at the top for even more details.
That card DOES NOT configure in a RAID, in fact it has no controller at all. The motherboard must support PCIe bifurcation and further, at least for consumer boards, you can't easily run a discrete GPU with such a setup. There are adapters with controllers that will work without PCIe bifurcation (but generally the GPU condition remains) that CAN do RAID but you do not HAVE to do RAID on them. There are further adapters with controllers that MUST do RAID, for example Gigabyte's x8 PCIe 3.0 with the Marvell controller, because they don't bifurcate lanes.

I have an extensive write-up of the Hyper here; keep in mind, check the "preview thread" link at the top for even more details.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS