[SOLVED] How to use a .bin file to flash BIOS?

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Hi,
I have a .bin file to flash the BIOS.
What is the procedure for it?
Do I just need to create a bootable USB pen with (for example) rufus?
Thanks

Solution
There could be a windows tool to flash the bios.
Otherwise you are supposed to boot into dos and run the flash program manually.
If the site doesn't have a flashing program it might be ok with a generic bios flasher.

in any case I would not recommend you to do anything because you can very easily destroy your laptop (make it not boot anymore forever)

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Thank you for your replies.
After hours of searching, I found the .bin file to flash the laptop CQ56-a10SA. There are no instructions, just the .bin file.
What are the usual procedures to do flash a bios with a .bin file?

There could be a windows tool to flash the bios.
Otherwise you are supposed to boot into dos and run the flash program manually.
If the site doesn't have a flashing program it might be ok with a generic bios flasher.

in any case I would not recommend you to do anything because you can very easily destroy your laptop (make it not boot anymore forever)

Reactions: frariky
Solution

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Thanks to all your answers.
I think my last chance is to ask if any of you know how to get a genuine file BIOS for the laptop CQ62-a10SA. The current one I have got is the F.26.
HP doesn't provide drivers and bios for pc older than 10 years (I understand the drivers but it should provide at least the bios files).

Apart from the .BIN file, do you also have the "Release Notes" with this version? That is - what you'll gain by (trying to) upgrading the BIOS?

Get into BIOS, and see who's BIOS manufacturer (eg, American megtrends / AMI), then search for BIOS flasher from that vendor.