News How To Use a Multimeter to Measure Voltage, Current and More

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Considering the content of the rest of the site, maybe there should at least be some warnings and disclaimers regarding how easy it is to create unintentional shorts between different jumpers and leads with a multimeter probe, with examples such as, say, how easy it is to instantly fry a Raspberry Pi's voltage regulator, just by shorting +5V and +3.3V together. Those pins are right next to each other.

Poking around a PC's innards with those should probably be discouraged too...Not without really knowing what you are doing. That's closer to common sense, but there were questions posted of someone trying to diagnose their dead graphic card with nothing more than a multimeter before.

Last edited:

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
The example for measuring voltage is incorrect!

Voltage is always measured in parallel, but in the example shown, the voltmeter is placed in series with the battery terminals which is wrong. To measure a source (battery or other supply), you must first load it, then test in parallel across the load.

I have made a lot of money in my days for 30sec service calls because of poor example like this:
"my equipment isnt working and everything measures correctly"
I roll out and with the power supply PLUGGED INTO the equipment, I test and its bad. But pull the supply off the equipment and just check the terminals directly, it shows good voltage.
"that'll be $150 for rolling a van, we only charge by the half day 4hrs, and you'll also need a new supply. Thank you for the business" I now get 3 hours for lunch give or take the travel time.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
The example for measuring voltage is incorrect!

Voltage is always measured in parallel, but in the example shown, the voltmeter is placed in series with the battery terminals which is wrong. To measure a source (battery or other supply), you must first load it, then test in parallel across the load.

I have made a lot of money in my days for 30sec service calls because of poor example like this:
"my equipment isnt working and everything measures correctly"
I roll out and with the power supply PLUGGED INTO the equipment, I test and its bad. But pull the supply off the equipment and just check the terminals directly, it shows good voltage.
"that'll be $150 for rolling a van, we only charge by the half day 4hrs, and you'll also need a new supply. Thank you for the business" I now get 3 hours for lunch give or take the travel time.
To be fair, isn't the state of charge of most common battery chemistries defined by their open circuit voltage? That's probably one of the only useful not-really-hobbyist use of a multimeter in the average home.

Good to know, but probably better keep things simple at first.