How to use a relay to turn on a computer?

princepsdinus

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'd like to be able to turn on my home pc at specified times. Since the BIOS on this machine does not support advanced power management settings like auto switch, I thought I could do it this way: by using a relay with a timer (this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Delay-Relay-Digital-Timer/dp/B008BXEUJA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1349642244&sr=8-20). I thought I could connect the relay's output on the motherboard where the wire of the switch button of the front panel of the case connects: especially I'd like to use a Y wire, so I could use both the timer-relay system and the power on button.
What I was wondering is this: do I have to worry about matching the relay's output frequency and voltage to my motherboard's frequency and voltage?
And since I'm no great expert in electronics, can this actually work?
I'd really use some help on this one.

Thanks.

princepsdinus

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Thank you, mate. Unfortunately my BIOS does not support the "wake on alarm" feature. I've also tried Wake On Lan and weird stuff happens: the so called "magic packet" reaches my pc but apparently nothing happens (eg. my computer does not wake up at all...). That's why I thought of that solution with the relay.
So do you think I'd have to convert in any way the output of the relay before it gets to the MoBo?

The power and reset switches are both momentary switches, I'm thinking the relay wouldn't be a great idea (at least not with my limited electrical knowledge). An old fashioned alarm clock switch (limited to a single ring) could work...