[SOLVED] How to use a remote to control a TV

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi everyone!
Sorry for the clickbaitie title - I couldn't figure out how to summarize my query. My setup is a monitor at my workstation, but also extended onto a "dumb" TV on the other side of the room, with a Miracast dongle plugged in on that side.
My question: can I use an IR remote to control a video player like VLC or trigger a macro via the TV's own commands on the (Miracast) input? Basically, is Remote > TV > Miracast dongle > PC > VLC possible? I'd be able to control the TV's own volume, but could I otherwise interact?
This is the dongle. The TV is an ancient second-hand Vizio with basic functionality.

Solution
the signal is only one way and it goes from the pc to the tv. so that would not really work. what i do is use a wireless mouse to control the pc while watching movies on my tv. best compromise i found really. the signal is good for 30ft or so and easily reaches the 10 ft or so to the couch.

they make pc remotes for htpc set-ups so you could possibly go that rout. i think they are rf as well. but i ahve never used one nor even know what features they offer as far as controlling the pc.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the signal is only one way and it goes from the pc to the tv. so that would not really work. what i do is use a wireless mouse to control the pc while watching movies on my tv. best compromise i found really. the signal is good for 30ft or so and easily reaches the 10 ft or so to the couch.

they make pc remotes for htpc set-ups so you could possibly go that rout. i think they are rf as well. but i ahve never used one nor even know what features they offer as far as controlling the pc.

Solution