How to use a splitter for 2 displays

simnerd

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
I only have 1 HDMI output but want to use 2 monitors to display exactly the same picture so I connected an HDMI splitter. When I turn on I get a good picture on one display and nothing on the other. When I check screen resolution it shows a single “Generic” monitor is connected rather than the usual specific monitor. However, if I turn off, only connect 1 of the displays through the splitter, turn on again and let Windows (7 Professional) complete its boot up process then connect the second monitor HDMI while “live”, both of the monitors work fine. Screen resolution shows that a single specific monitor is connected. However, if I switch off then back on again screen resolution shows “Generic” monitor and only one of them works.
So my question is, how can I get Windows to run up with the 2 monitors connected through the splitter? I have tried a USB3 connected splitter and a different, mains powered connected splitter and both give the same result.

Solution
Your right I did not see you saying you used a usb powered one, but if both are a generic brand from ebay/amazon then could still be bad splitters.

What graphics ports do you have as you may not need a splitter.
DVI converts directly to HDMI so just a DVI to HDMI cable will work.
Most displayport ports have the ability to convert to hdmi/dvi as well, you just need a converter cable.

simnerd

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017

I don't think you read the last sentence of my thread - I've tried 2 separate splitters and both have the same result.

Your right I did not see you saying you used a usb powered one, but if both are a generic brand from ebay/amazon then could still be bad splitters.

What graphics ports do you have as you may not need a splitter.
DVI converts directly to HDMI so just a DVI to HDMI cable will work.
Most displayport ports have the ability to convert to hdmi/dvi as well, you just need a converter cable.

Solution