How to use a SSD as secondary Hard Drive ?

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I already have a 2TB WD Green HDD , And i want a SSD for gaming !
So, can i use that SSD for Secondary hard drive ? My WD green is already as my primary Hard drive..

Please help me and i also want to ask a few questions ?
1)If i use that SSD as my secondary hard drive , will it decreases the Booting time of my Computer or loading time ?
2)What is meaning of more GB's in SSD ?
3)Will the SSD work with my rest of my system ?
My Specs-
Cpu-Intel Core i3 3210 3.2Ghz
Ram-8 GB
Gpu-MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4 GB DDR5
Psu-Corsair VS 650
Mobo-Gigabyte GA H61M-S1
Primary HDD- WD Green Caviar 2 TB

The SSD that i want to buy is this ,-http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-850-evo-120-gb-ssd-internal-hard-drive-mz-75e120/p/itme33twghufrcst?pid=IHDE33TRMDMJ9BXG&ref=L%3A6832885510859279209&srno=p_1&query=ssd&otracker=from-search

So please help me with these questions ?

Solution
Well, usually people do things a little bit differently than what you're proposing. A SSD excels at lots of little random file reads/writes because it doesn't have to wait for any platters to come to the right position, or for the heads to get to the right spot. So - the random flicking around is where it really shines compared to a standard hard drive. In that regard, a SSD is somewhere on the order of 20-50x faster than a regular HDD.

If you're talking purely sequential access, as in big files that are in one contiguous piece as you might find when loading a level in a game, while a SSD might be faster, it's not all that much faster than a regular hard drive (maybe 2.5x faster).

So - what most people do is use the SSD as the boot...

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Well, usually people do things a little bit differently than what you're proposing. A SSD excels at lots of little random file reads/writes because it doesn't have to wait for any platters to come to the right position, or for the heads to get to the right spot. So - the random flicking around is where it really shines compared to a standard hard drive. In that regard, a SSD is somewhere on the order of 20-50x faster than a regular HDD.

If you're talking purely sequential access, as in big files that are in one contiguous piece as you might find when loading a level in a game, while a SSD might be faster, it's not all that much faster than a regular hard drive (maybe 2.5x faster).

So - what most people do is use the SSD as the boot drive, and install their operating system to it, and then use a HDD for games and/or bulk storage. While an average HDD will load Win7 in about 1.5-2 minutes, my system will load Win7 in about 20 seconds flat. Programs load much quicker, and when windows has to access the virtual memory for page swapping it's also much quicker.

As to what the GB means in a SSD, that means gigabytes. So - a 120GB SSD means it'll hold 120 gigabytes of data. Much less than your HDD, but more than enough for your operating system (usually about 20-30GB) and some other programs and data. That's why most people install the OS to the SSD and use the HDD for bulk storage.

The SSD is very compatible with every system, because it uses the standard SATA drive interface which has been around for a decade or so.

What I would recommend:

1) remove your HDD put the SSD in as your primary drive.
2) install your operating system on it.
3) put the HDD in as a secondary drive
4) move the data you need to keep (pics, docs etc) from the HDD to the SSD.
5) wipe the HDD.
6) install the software you want (games and such) to your HDD.

Solution

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Ok thanks for the help...but i want to know that....if i use the ssd as my primary hdd and
for example I want to play Gta 5 which is installed on the Hard drive.. not in the ssd , so will it load the game faster whether the game is not installed in the ssd ?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
It would probably load the game faster off the SSD. The issue is a matter of overall storage space. Remember, you only have 120 GB of space total on the SSD, you have about 20-30GB used for the Windows OS. That leaves a total of 90GB available for any games.

What is the average size of the games you want to play? If you only have one you want to play (GTA 5 for example) you'll probably be fine, but with the average game size being in the neighborhood of 30-40GB per game, that means you'd be able to install maybe 3 games on your SSD. Meanwhile, your 2TB WD drive will hold several dozen games.

I guess it all boils down to priorities...

USAFRet

Titan

If that secondary disk is a SSD, it will load somewhat faster than if that drive was an HDD.

Whatever drive an application or game lives on...if it is on an SSD it will be 'faster'.

However....having the OS and applications on the SSD is HUGELY faster than having the OS and applications on a WD Green.
That particular drive is not recommended for your OS drive.