Question How to use both headset and speakers (Astro A10 Headset)

Apr 27, 2019
Hey guys,

My mobo is a Asus Maximus IX and I recently bought a new headset (Astro A10) with two jacks (one for sound and mic). Now I have my speakers connected in the back with the green jack. I turned off my computer and I connected the headset in the front of the computer i/o's (both jacks: mic and sound). When I restarted, only the headset was enabled/detected so I googled to see if I could get the headset and speakers working at the same time and according to google/youtube you could. I had to go into my sounds options and enable stereo mix and I went through the steps etc... But it still didn't work. It seems like its only detecting 1 device and its my speakers, but its actually my headset. My old headset was a USB headset and I had no problems and both my speakers and it I could use at the same time. Or can I use either my speakers or headset, and not both?

When I'm choosing the device under stereo mix, I have two options: Default Device and Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device. I tried selecting both and nothing happened. The only device that shows in the Playback tab is the Speakers High Definition Audio Default Device (which is actually the headset, but it showing as speakers) and nothing else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is why I always bought USB headsets in the past because I always could use it with my speakers with no problem

Lutfij

Titan
Which variant of the Maximus IX are you on? You should be able to access Audio Manager and set to have both audio ports output regardless of them being connected at the same time. We can move forward, after you list your specs.

List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

FYI, USB headsets don't tax the sound card to provide the audio, the audio is processed off the USB port.

Apr 27, 2019
Hey there Lutfij, I appreciate the help.

When you say audio manager do you mean when I right click on the volume and select sound? And it takes me to the sound options? It only list one thing and it shows this in sound ---> playback tab:

Speakers
Realtek High Definition Audio
Default Device

Realtek Digital Output
Realtek High Defenition Audio <----- This option doesnt do anything
Ready

But it isn't my speakers, its my headset that is working which is a Astro A10 Headset that is plugged in from the front part of the computer i/o, but it showing as speakers realtek high def audion default device

Or when you are talking about audio manager you're talking about the SupremeFx or Sonic Studio 3 software that came with the ASUS motherboard as sound options? I tried to mess around with this software but it just shows 1 sound option and the other 2 things same as above + a mic option:

Speakers
Realtek High Definition Audio
Default Device

Realtek Digital Output
Realtek High Defenition Audio
Ready

And

Mic option

It seems like since I plugged in the headset, all the sound goes to that and only that. It doesn't show a headset and speakers, in the sound ---> playback tab section. When I had my old USB headset, it showed my headset and my speakers.

Here is my system specs:

CPU: 7700k
Motherboard : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080ti
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular
Chassis: NZXT S340 Elite ATX Mid Tower Computer Case White with tempered glass

Thanks again for your help. I'll check back on this post when I get home from work

Last edited: