How to use discrete and onboard graphics for dual monitor setup?

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hi,
I'm trying to use an old monitor I have as a second monitor, but the problem is my discrete graphics card(GTX 670} doesn't have a VGA port in it, so I want to use both the onboard and discrete graphics to fix it. Can anyone help? I use the discrete for gaming and want to use the second for browsing while gaming or using applications. Thanks

Solution
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Set_Up_Multiple_Monitors#Multiple_monitors_in_Windows

Multiple monitors in Windows

Turn off your PC, plug in in the second monitor and restart Windows. With any luck, Windows will detect the new display and install the drivers for you.

At this point, your should have a mirror of your desktop on two screens. That's nice, but not what we're after here. Head to Control Panel, click on Display and select the "Multiple display" option. Adjust the resolution and orientation to suit your monitor setup.

Congratulations, you're now rocking dual monitors. You can drag windows between monitors and adjust your windows to suit your workflow.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should be as simple as enabling onboard graphics in the BIOS. Installing a discrete gpu would often disable that part automatically but can turn it back on when ever.

Depending on your hardware, motherboards today require the processor to have an igp chip to pass video through the motherboard's video outs.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Set_Up_Multiple_Monitors#Multiple_monitors_in_Windows

Multiple monitors in Windows

Turn off your PC, plug in in the second monitor and restart Windows. With any luck, Windows will detect the new display and install the drivers for you.

At this point, your should have a mirror of your desktop on two screens. That's nice, but not what we're after here. Head to Control Panel, click on Display and select the "Multiple display" option. Adjust the resolution and orientation to suit your monitor setup.

Congratulations, you're now rocking dual monitors. You can drag windows between monitors and adjust your windows to suit your workflow.

Solution