Question How to use either a laptop or desktop with dual monitors through a docking station at any one time?

Apr 9, 2019
Hello,
I'd like use both of my dual monitors with my laptop, which is connected to a docking station, or when my desktop is turned on. Only one system will be on at one time. How would I accomplish this?

Currently I have dual monitors directly connected via its own DP cable to a Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station. This docking station is connected to my X1 Yoga Laptop via Thunderbolt 3 Cable

I tried to connect the desktop to the docking station via (USB A to USB C) but monitors didn't pick it up.

Dual Dell P2319H Monitors:
-Other Ports available: VGA, HDMI, USB, SS USB

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station:
-Other Ports Available: Thunderbolt (2nd one at the back), USB, HDMI

Desktop
-Ports Available: USB A, two female DVI (dual link) ports

Ralston18

Titan
Are you familiar with KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switches?

KVM switches permit using one keyboard, one monitor, and one mouse on one of two or more computers. Switching between computers as needed.

For dual monitor support you may need a product similar to the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-CKL...ocphy=9007743&hvtargid=pla-795278508712&psc=1

I am not sure about how the laptop docking station may "fit in" per se.

Sketch out a diagram of the desired connectivity and include all available ports accordingly. Then look for products (e.g. KVM switches) that match or otherwise fulfill the connectivity and functional requirements that you desire.

Note: products may or may not include the necessary cables. Keep that in mind as well - cables may be a separate purchase.....