Question How to use older HDD's with my high end build? (SAS Drives)

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
I gutted a PowerEdge T420 and it had 24tbs (4tbx6drives)

I'm unable to just keep the drives in the poweredge due to age and some problems its facing I would like to find some way to use them with my current pc for side projects.

The drives are;
Dell X4FKY Hitachi 0F27041 4TB SAS Hard Drive

Here is my current set up;(I want to use the SAS Drives with)
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 [LINK]
RAM- TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 [LINK]
SSD- Samsung 990 PRO 1TB [LINK]
HDD - Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB [LINK]
CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D [LINK]
CPU COOLING - DeepCool AK620 [LINK]
PSU - ASUS TUF Gaming 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular [LINK]
MOTHERBOARD - MSI B550 MPG ATX [LINK]
Current Case - Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX [LINK]
-

Is there just something I can buy like a HDD bay to sit by my pc? This area is not my expertise so I'm hoping someone can help me here, thank you!

Is there just something I can buy like a HDD bay to sit by my pc?
yes.
am currently using an external USB Wavlink 2x docking bay for my extra 3TB Barricuda drives.
i've seen options with up to 8x bays available.

the only thing i don't like about it is that it has an open interface where dust/debris can land inside and float in around the drives.
i just cut down an old empty circular DVD pack/"cake box" and placed it over the drives.
21HAKiO--2L._AC_.jpg

Reactions: SSlipknot

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
yes.
am currently using an external USB Wavlink 2x docking bay for my extra 3TB Barricuda drives.
i've seen options with up to 8x bays available.

the only thing i don't like about it is that it has an open interface where dust/debris can land inside and float in around the drives.
i just cut down an old empty circular DVD pack/"cake box" and placed it over the drives.
21HAKiO--2L._AC_.jpg
Thanks for the reply, I see the one you have is for SATA drives, do you know of a good brand for SAS drives? I do have room for two more drives in my pc case but motherboard doesn't support SAS so only makes sense to get a external docking bay.