How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I see no problem with this, although I bet some people would say otherwise. I'm kind of glad there's going to be some serious moderation around here.

I wonder how many people will get banned by commenting on this article...

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
You're really gonna ban for:
DON'T: "First!" or "But can it play Crysis?"
That's pretty lame, really. Does it warrant one? I know it's annoying, but I still see the humor in it. Am I the only one?

.......................... waiting for thumbs down ......................... ?

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]You're really gonna ban for:That's pretty lame, really. Does it warrant one? I know it's annoying, but I still see the humor in it. Am I the only one?.......................... waiting for thumbs down ......................... ?[/citation]

Yeah, it was funny...about 10,000 posts ago...

It's just as retarded now as "First!" is.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]peacock[/nom]Yeah, it was funny...about 10,000 posts ago...It's just as retarded now as "First!" is.[/citation]
Take the Joker's advice:
"Why so serious!?!"
Ok, ok... I'll let it rest. May the Crysis legacy RIP once and for all!!!

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I got an ad, saying "Protecting religious freedom without limit free speech" on this page. Did you guys engineer this?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
But can it...

Be enforced well? I help out on a forum with over 100k users and that is always one of the first questions we ask ourselves when considering any change in policy, especially large ones such as this. As long as it is enforced well, not too harshly and with some grace but also with consistency then I look forward to this.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
About time I say, some of the things being said on the comments section were out of control. But I'm with gwolfman, although "But can it play Crysis?" is over played, it shouldn't warrant a ban. Think of it as something that makes this community quirky but unique.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Finally! I used to almost cringe posting comments here because of these issues. Granted I have probably left a couple nasty messages in the past due to this very reason, I am definitely glad this has been engaged. Cheers.

tamick88

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I agree with gwolfman and daworstplaya. The comments were getting out of control but really? A ban for saying can it play crysis?

btw McEntegart whats up with the link to the creepy pic of MJ??? I think that smile will haunt my dreams lol.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
DON'T: "First!" or "But can it play Crysis?"

My heart...... I feel it breaking. I actually always thought the "but can it play Crysis" comment was entertaining. "First" is relatively stupid, but the conversations about whether or not a device can play Crysis actually went places on occasion.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Elsapo[/nom]I got an ad, saying "Protecting religious freedom without limit free speech" on this page. Did you guys engineer this?[/citation]

Most likely not, ad space is leased out to companies such as Google (as far as I know) and the specific ads are determined by Google/other companies based on the text on the page.

"Spammers, trolls, racist comments, insulting comments, off-topic discussion, and general idiocy."

You mean half of the posters will get banned? =D

/minor sarcasm

I'm glad to see this, it sounds somewhat strong in some ways, but I really am glad to see the issue of trolling and completely biased raging be put to an end.

@Jane - Nice....I'm assuming you get ban-hammer immunity? =P

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I think the Crysis thing is old and needs to die. If the threat of banning does that... great! As for the rest... FINALLY! I hate weeding through the comments to find something remotely constructive. Most of the time it's ignorant people that read Tom's just so they can insult the writers.

Elementgreen

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I applaud you guys for finally getting on top of the comments. I have prevented myself, for a long while, from posting my own opinions on articles simply because I didn't want to be involved in the fanboyism, and idiotic comments/arguments.

I guess I can finally say what I feel on the articles without worrying about getting trolled, or getting into a stupid argument. Honestly, I don't see the point in banning over the "can it play Crysis?" meme that's been around for a while. Sure, it's overused, but some people still get a kick out of it, and it's really harmless.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
"But can it play crysis"
"F&$@@ you"
"You suck."

Finally, I don't have to hear this anymore.

Then again, I'm suprised I haven't been banned.
I can go off on tangents.

Status
Not open for further replies.