[SOLVED] How to use properly Clear Cmos button

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I would like to set my bios to default by using cmos button on the back. Somewhere I read to power off pc is enough and just press the clear cmos button. Somewhere I have read to turn off pc and unplug the cord and after press the clear cmos button. But that case the clear cmos button also turn off.(no light) So which method should I use?
My motherboard is Z490 Unify.

Also my other question. Is the ERP Ready function is useful? Should I use it? My PSU is Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum.

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
Consult your manual, it should tell you how to use it. Otherwise in my experience with some sort of "Clear CMOS" button or jumper, turning the computer off and holding the button down or shorting the jumper for at least 10 seconds usually does the trick. Otherwise you can always pop the battery out and wait at least 30 seconds.
Hi all,

I would like to set my bios to default by using cmos button on the back. Somewhere I read to power off pc is enough and just press the clear cmos button. Somewhere I have read to turn off pc and unplug the cord and after press the clear cmos button. But that case the clear cmos button also turn off.(no light) So which method should I use?
My motherboard is Z490 Unify.

Also my other question. Is the ERP Ready function is useful? Should I use it? My PSU is Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum.

Thanks for your replies.
Make sure power is right off either by switch on it or unplug from mains. Keep Start button pressed for few seconds to drain capacitors.
ERP Ready = https://www.onecomputerguy.com/erp-ready
PSU power would depend on your GPU.

Consult your manual, it should tell you how to use it. Otherwise in my experience with some sort of "Clear CMOS" button or jumper, turning the computer off and holding the button down or shorting the jumper for at least 10 seconds usually does the trick. Otherwise you can always pop the battery out and wait at least 30 seconds.

Solution

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Would like to maybe suggest just do googles search. It take awhile and you seem to get info bits and pieces. Eventually you put together answers.

For as much as I pay for mobo my should have come with a magic button but did not. Researched much but did no focus on cmos. After read much I find some things work with my cmos some didn't. Discover that its annoying as hell to reset it on my build. Pushing my OC here so a decent cmos button clear would have been appreciated! :)