[SOLVED] How to use Quadro & GeForce GPUs in same machine

Jan 3, 2021
Hello,

I am interested in building my own PC for the first time for work and play. It will be nicely spec'd, and I'd like to take advantage of the hardware set for both purposes. And, I don't want two machines at my desk. Work purposes are driven by SOLIDWORKS CAD, for which I am set on Quadro . Play will be gaming and I'm interested in getting into the VR/4K/crank-everything-up-to-ultra experience, so I have presumed to use a latest generation GeForce card. I'm not yet interested in answering the question of which exact cards, unless it applies to the functional aspect of doing all this in one machine. I have searched far & wide for a definitive answer to this and haven't found one. So, here are my questions...
  1. How does one go about using one GPU or the other any given time. Is it a matter of how the machine boots, and/or which monitors are plugged in where, and/or application settings in the NVIDIA control panel, etc? To be clear, I seek to use only one card - for its intended purpose - at a time.
  2. Quadro and GeForce have their own drivers - might there be conflicts?
  3. Is this a bad idea?
  4. Should I consider a single card? Might there be a Quadro card, not outrageously priced, that wasn't a significant compromise on the play front. I get lost in all the options and specs and frankly don't understand what most of them mean. (If there is to be one card it has to be a Quadro.)
Thank you!

Solution
Hello,

I am interested in building my own PC for the first time for work and play. It will be nicely spec'd, and I'd like to take advantage of the hardware set for both purposes. And, I don't want two machines at my desk. Work purposes are driven by SOLIDWORKS CAD, for which I am set on Quadro . Play will be gaming and I'm interested in getting into the VR/4K/crank-everything-up-to-ultra experience, so I have presumed to use a latest generation GeForce card. I'm not yet interested in answering the question of which exact cards, unless it applies to the functional aspect of doing all this in one machine. I have searched far & wide for a definitive answer to this and haven't found one. So, here are my questions...
  1. How...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

1. How does one go about using one GPU or the other any given time. Is it a matter of how the machine boots, and/or which monitors are plugged in where, and/or application settings in the NVIDIA control panel, etc? To be clear, I seek to use only one card - for its intended purpose - at a time.
  2. Quadro and GeForce have their own drivers - might there be conflicts?
  3. Is this a bad idea?
  4. Should I consider a single card? Might there be a Quadro card, not outrageously priced, that wasn't a significant compromise on the play front. I get lost in all the options and specs and frankly don't understand what most of them mean. (If there is to be one card it has to be a Quadro.)
Thank you!
I have not seen many (if any) successful systems with both Quadro and GeForce GPUs. The drivers don't play well.

Reactions: Amateur Hour
Solution