How to use rear audio jacks?

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Note: There was a thread like this created a few days ago, but no response came in, that’s why I made this new one in a new category. Criticize me if you want...

So, I have the speakers in my monitor and an led speaker to my right. My mobo is a 7.1 channel audio setup (6 ports) and features mic in, line in, line out, Center, side, and rear. My led speaker has a line in and line out while the monitor only has line in. I tried to go from the mobo to the led speaker, and hook up the line out of the speaker to the monitor, but the monitors audio was delayed. How would I get this to work?

Solution
It should.

I don't think what you have going on with the monitor is that uncommon.

I have a new Sony TV that has a delay compared to my other TV and it's due to the electronics in the TV.

...but pretty much plain speakers....or even speakers with an amp....won't have any delay (or it's so small not noticeable) and you can daisy chain them any which way you want.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Oh, really? Huh. Well, I guess I might as well get a set of dual speakers in front of me. Would that work? (Say both have line in/line out and one was plugged into mobo line out and other is plugged into speaker line out?)

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry about the somewhat misleading question. I meant if I just disabled all the audio I have (monitor and led speaker) and got a matching set of speakers to the left and right of my monitor, would that work?

It should.

I don't think what you have going on with the monitor is that uncommon.

I have a new Sony TV that has a delay compared to my other TV and it's due to the electronics in the TV.

...but pretty much plain speakers....or even speakers with an amp....won't have any delay (or it's so small not noticeable) and you can daisy chain them any which way you want.

Solution
In my experience you can hook up or leave unhooked whatever you want.
The "rear" is a stereo signal for the rear speakers and is usually a black jack.
The "side" is a stereo signal for the side speakers. That's usually a gray or silver jack.
The "center"....I'm not sure if this is stereo or mono....I'm thinking mono...this can be used for a subwoofer and/or a center speaker.

All these outputs need to go to an amp...or amplified speakers...you cannot just connect them to "just a speaker".