Question How to use secondary SSD disk to improve PC performance

sergiopol

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021
Hello, a few months ago I took my PC for maintenance and upgrades. I told the guy I was using an SSD for the system but it was becoming a little short for the programs I was needing. I was also having memory issues because of one bad module and a pair of empty slots I was thinking of filling up. The guy told me that maybe I didn't need that much RAM and if I bought the bigger SSD I could use the old one to improve the PC performance. I did buy the new, bigger SSD and it is now my system disk, I also filled up my memory to its highest allowed capacity with new identical memory modules. Is there a way I can improve system performance with that spare SSD I have in my system? I'm having some troubles with After Effects and RAM previews. I'm constantly closing/opening the application because it stops performing the very useful RAM preview. I'm guessing this issue may be more software related but a boost in system performance is never bad.

I'd love to read your suggestions, thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master

sergiopol

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021
did you remove the 1 bad stick?

I see mention of using the SSD as a scratch disk for After Effects, not sure if that would help.
Disk cache mentioned on this page, need to scroll down to Cache header - https://helpx.adobe.com/au/after-effects/using/memory-storage1.html

https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/after-effects-disk-cache
Hello Colif, yes I removed the bad module. All modules are new and identical. As for using the SSD for AE scratch disk, yes I have considered that but haven't done it because I fear the workload would render the disk unusable very quickly. What do you think?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its about only way you can use the ssd to extend your ram.
You can't use an ssd as ram as such. Scratch or cache is similar to how windows uses the page file on the ssd. Its not really an answer to less ram as ssd are still way slower than ram speed is.
ssd max transfer speed is 550mb/s
ddr3 ram can transfer up to 20gb/s

Using an ssd to extend ram just slows PC down.
Even your other 480gb drive is slower than ram is.

only real answer for needing more ram is... more ram.

ram can be used to extend storage but not really other way around. Well, not at same speed anyway.

Reactions: sergiopol

sergiopol

Commendable
Apr 17, 2021
Its about only way you can use the ssd to extend your ram.
You can't use an ssd as ram as such. Scratch or cache is similar to how windows uses the page file on the ssd. Its not really an answer to less ram as ssd are still way slower than ram speed is.
ssd max transfer speed is 550mb/s
ddr3 ram can transfer up to 20gb/s

Using an ssd to extend ram just slows PC down.
Even your other 480gb drive is slower than ram is.

only real answer for needing more ram is... more ram.

ram can be used to extend storage but not really other way around. Well, not at same speed anyway.
Thanks a lot Colif. I understand you completely. I didn't expect to use the disk to work as RAM thou. One reason I bought all the modules at once was because they were too different in specs and it was really hard to find ones that matched. I assumed my AE issues were mainly because that one bad memory module but now I know they're not. I was just thinking, well I have this unused SSD disk there and the guy told me it could make the system work faster. Why not ask about it? Now from your input I'm guessing the best use I could give it is for AE scratch disk and maybe Plex encoding folder.