[SOLVED] How to use SSD for Games and HDD for storage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Prentafy

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Just a question how do i make my SSD the boot drive and hold all my games/programs and my HDD to just hold some of my files

Solution
Wait so if I migrate the whole thing it will still be possible for me to use the HDD for the files that take up lots of space . As of right now I will struggle to get under 800GB because I will have to reinstall most of the games on the SSD anyways So then there wont be enough space on the SSD for everything. I could be looking at this wrong but that is just my assumption
To migrate to the SSD, the actual consumed space of the source (the HDD) needs to be under 800GB.

Whatever you do not need, or can download again, or can move off to some other device....do that.
Get to under 800GB, then we migrate to the SSD.

Then, we delete ALL from the HDD.
Then, you can move games (If Steam/Origin/etc) to the HDD.

The issue is...you...

USAFRet

Titan
Alright i have backed up my files and i am ready to migrate the data, i was able to reduce the space taken up on my drive from 1.8tb to 540gb, so now i just run the data migration?
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Prentafy

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
I think you'd need to deselect the left partition in the target drive...that small thing.
I think.
Is it possible for me to just put all my games on the SSD so i get the loading time benefits and just keep my hdd for everything else for now because i haven't figured out the cloning issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Is it possible for me to just put all my games on the SSD so i get the loading time benefits and just keep my hdd for everything else for now because i haven't figured out the cloning issue.
Probably, yes.
Steam games can be easily moved to a different drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
--------------------------------------------------
The other platform launchers have similar functionality, but I don't have those specific steps documented.

Prentafy

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Probably, yes.
Steam games can be easily moved to a different drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
--------------------------------------------------
The other platform launchers have similar functionality, but I don't have those specific steps documented.
Just done it and tried testing out a few games, loads much faster, thanks!

Reactions: USAFRet