Question How to use the full potential of a non-gigabit 1200mbps router?

May 23, 2019
Router: Netgear R6120 AC1200 Dual Band
Modem: Motorola SB5101U
ISP: You Broadband (200 mbps plan)
Devices: Asus k55vm with 802.11 b/g/n (laptop), Android phone with 802.11 b/g/n, Android phone with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.

I foolishly bought a Netgear R6120 thinking its a proper gigabit router and it isn't one. It doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports. Can't return it now.
I won't be hooking it to my modem since my internet plan requires a gigabit dual band router

However, I'd like to know all the ways I can use this router to it's full potential without connecting it to the modem, or just different/creative uses of it.

P.S. Have ordered a D-link DIR-825 AC1200 which is a real gigabit router.

May 23, 2019
So R6120 have 100 mbit ethernet ports, that's all it can do, that means do not even put it in the path of ethernet clients, is good enough for 802.11n and that's it. Use it mainly as an extra Access Point. Slow ethernet clients like printers, scanners OK.

Thank you. Are there anymore ways it can be used? I'm open to getting my hands dirty with hacks,tricks...etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what you think you can do with it. Maybe you could load third party firmware but my initial check says dd-wrt is not supported but maybe one of the other ones.

For most people a router is a pretty stupid device its only purpose is to share the single IP your ISP gives you to multiple devices in your house. Most people use nothing else.

Most other feature say like firewalls or content filters need to be run on your main router going to the ISP.

So I am not sure what you would use this for. As stated it can be used a AP to increase wifi coverage by installing it in a remote room connected via ethernet. I suppose you could use it as a 10/100 switch but a 10/100/1000 switch costs less than $25

Reactions: Shubhankar_P

TRENDING THREADS